Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ781
Location: [Edmonton or Calgary preferably]
Apply by: [September 19, 2020]
# Positions available: 
Leader Name: [Elizabeth Lunney, CFA]
As ATB’s next Portfolio Manager (PM) you will be the Lead Portfolio Manager for the 4 ATBIS Pools and Private Client Portfolio Models. As such, the PM is responsible for portfolio construction, final sub advisor selection and rebalancing decisions. There is the potential for additional product management responsibilities over time along with the responsibility for segregated fixed income recommendations, analytics, and trading for ATB Wealth.
The Portfolio Manager will be a member of the ATBIM Investment Committee and supports the overall ATBIM Portfolio Management function and governance structure. The ATBIM Investment Committee is a table of investment peers where members bring regular updates on their areas of responsibility and contribute as equals to firm rebalancing guidance, the peer review and idea generation process. The Committee is also responsible for developing and maintaining appropriate portfolio management governance processes in consultation with ATBIM Compliance.
The Portfolio Manager will consult with end users of the ATBIS Pools and Private Client Model Portfolios to better understand the client segment including suitability requirements and broad based investor constraints. The PM will support advisor and client communications such as sales and marketing materials, and market commentary, working closely with Investment Solutions partners. The PM will work through the ATBIM Investment Committee and Fund Co. to support regulatory filings and operational due diligence. The Portfolio Manager is also required to provide research and trading duties as needed for the ATB Compass Portfolios. The PM works closely with the Director of Research & Institutional Portfolio Management coordinating manager due diligence activities for the Pool and Model Portfolio sub advisors alongside other ATBIM portfolio managers.
Portfolio Manager Accountabilities:
- Exemplifies ATB Investment Management Inc. behavioural beliefs related to investment management discipline, ignoring noise, avoiding market timing and investing rather than speculating
- Manage ATBIS Pools and PIC Models to maximize risk adjusted return and maintain overall product competitiveness
- Fixed income analysis and recommendations to Financial Advisors and Investment Counselors as needed
- Periodically review and evaluate the effectiveness of the ATBIS Pools and PIC Model policy constraints and exposures in achieving the optimal risk/return profile across a range of client segments
- Perform/evaluate a combination of independent and third party research to inform investment and sub advisor decisions
- Monitor portfolio positioning and exposure across the ATBIS Pools and PIC Models to ensure compliance with investment policies, fund management guidelines, and portfolio risk parameters
- Work with risk management and compliance partners to identify and better understand intended and unintended portfolio exposures
- Identify and direct security trades and portfolio rebalancing across ATBIS Pools and PIC Models
- Maintain records of trade decisions, rationale and supporting documentation
- Trade execution of fixed income and money market securities as directed by ATB Wealth Advisors
- Maintain and communicate the daily fixed income offer sheet
- Prepare regular reports on pool performance and investment commentary for a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Support the Investment Fund Company in preparing regulatory updates and filings
- Monitor competitiveness of the ATBIS Pool and PIC Models offering from a variety of perspectives eg. risk/return profile, cost and market conditions
- Advises on ATB Investment Management Inc. portfolio construction beliefs related to risk management, strategic asset allocation, global diversification and investment cost control
- Operates with a high level of ethics in adhering to, and suggesting improvements to, ATB Investment Management Inc. policies and procedures
- Maintain appropriate industry registration status
What you Bring:
- Min 10 years of experience managing a mutual fund(s) or balanced institutional accounts
- Relevant University degree
- CFA Charter
- Strong analytical skills; able to generate both strategic investment and fixed income security specific trade recommendations based on a rigorous process. As timelines can often be short or uncertain, an ability to complete this analysis in a timely manner, balancing the need for detail and requirement for action.
- Experience with sub-advisor screening, monitoring and oversight across a variety of asset classes
- Strong problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of behavioural finance and investment markets combined with portfolio construction and asset allocation experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to excel in a collaborative, high-performance culture with a significant amount of independence
- Personally and fiercely accountable
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred. Please reach out if you require any accommodations.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
To learn more about atb, visit atb.com.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!