Senior Portfolio Manager
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ782
Location: [Edmonton or Calgary preferably ]
Apply by: [September 19, 2020]
# Positions available: 
Leader Name: [Elizabeth Lunney, CFA]]
As ATB’s next Senior Portfolio Manager (PM) you will be the Lead Portfolio Manager for the 6 Compass Portfolios ($16B). You will be responsible for portfolio construction recommendations, final sub advisor selection and rebalancing decisions across the portfolios.
The Senior PM is a member of the ATBIM Investment Committee and supports the overall ATBIM Portfolio Management function and governance structure. The ATBIM Investment Committee is a table of investment peers where members bring regular updates on their areas of responsibility and contribute as equals to firm rebalancing guidance, the peer review and idea generation process. The Committee is also responsible for developing and maintaining appropriate portfolio management governance processes in consultation with ATBIM Compliance.
The Senior PM coordinates through the ATBIM Investment Committee with the ATBIM Fund Co. team to support regulatory filings and operational due diligence with respect to the Compass Portfolios. This role supports advisor and client communications such as sales and marketing materials, and market commentary, working closely with Investment Solutions partners. The Senior PM works closely with the Director of Research & Institutional Portfolio Management coordinating manager due diligence activities for Compass sub advisors alongside other ATBIM portfolio managers.
Senior Portfolio Manager Accountabilities:
- Exemplifies ATB Investment Management Inc. behavioural beliefs related to investment management discipline, ignoring noise, avoiding market timing and investing rather than speculating
- Manage Compass Portfolios to maximize risk adjusted return and maintain overall product competitiveness
- Periodically review and evaluate the effectiveness of the Compass Portfolio policy ranges, asset class exposures in achieving the optimal risk/return profile across a range of investor profiles
- Perform/evaluate a combination of independent and third party research to inform investment and sub advisor decisions
- Monitor portfolio positioning and exposure across Compass Portfolios to ensure compliance with investment policies, fund management guidelines, and portfolio risk parameters
- Work with risk management and compliance partners to identify and better understand intended and unintended portfolio exposures
- Identify and direct security trades and portfolio rebalancing, including sub advisor communication regarding movement of funds
- Maintain records of trade decisions, rationale and supporting documentation
- Prepare regular communications on fund performance and investment commentary for a variety of internal and external stakeholders. This job is the public "face" of the fund.
- Support the Investment Fund Company in preparing regulatory updates and filings
- Monitor competitiveness of Compass Portfolio offering from a variety of perspectives eg. risk/return profile, cost and market conditions
- Advises on ATB Investment Management Inc. portfolio construction beliefs related to risk management, strategic asset allocation, global diversification and investment cost control
- Operates with a high level of ethics in adhering to, and suggesting improvements to, ATB Investment Management Inc. policies and procedures
- Maintain appropriate industry registration status
What you bring:
- 10 + years of experience managing a mutual fund(s) or balanced institutional accounts
- Relevant University degree
- CFA Charter
- Strong analytical skills; able to generate both strategic investment and security specific trade recommendations based on a rigorous process. As timelines can often be short or uncertain, an ability to complete this analysis in a timely manner, balancing the need for detail and requirement for action.
- Experience with sub-advisor screening, monitoring and oversight across a variety of asset classes
- Strong problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of behavioural finance and investment markets combined with portfolio construction and asset allocation experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to excel in a collaborative, high-performance culture with a significant amount of independence
- Personally and fiercely accountable
At ATB, we know that highly talented people can readily transfer their skills. If you believe your skills and experience are transferable, please consider putting your name in the running.
Online applications are preferred. Please reach out if you require any accommodations.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about ATB:
We are Alberta’s largest, home grown financial institution and for the last 80+ years, we’ve transformed people’s understanding of what banking can–and should–make possible. Today, 5,500+ ATB team members embrace a growth mindset in order to help bring ATB’s story to life, delivering happiness to our customers and team members alike. It’s why we’re also a highly sought after, award-winning employer. The best part is, we’re just getting started. Join us, and create happiness.
To learn more about atb, visit atb.com.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!