PortfolioMetrix was founded on the principle that portfolios need to be constructed on needs, not wealth. We recognised the potential in partnerships, and the value of integrating the specialisations of investment management and advice. PortfolioMetrix pioneered the use of proprietary built technology to give advisers the ability to customise client portfolios on a fully scalable basis. We create a robust link between the professional adviser and client outcomes by multiplying the effectiveness of advisers through unprecedented control over clients’ investment mandates. Our proposition produces precision-engineered portfolios that reliably meet expectations. In addition, we provide a suite of proprietary advice and reporting tools where the whole focus is on efficiency for the adviser and investment outcomes for the client.
PortfolioMetrix (‘PMX’) was launched in South Africa in 2010 and immediately expanded its services abroad. We now employ over fifty people in offices in London, Dublin, Stockholm, Johannesburg, and Cape Town. PMX was voted Best Discretionary Fund Manager in the UK in 2019 by Professional Adviser and Best DFM for Greater London in the annual Citywire Regional Awards for the last four years. We further won three of the seven categories up for grabs at the Citywire Annual Investment Performance Awards in 2019 and received a “Gold” award for digital innovation from Portfolio Adviser in the UK for our technology.
PortfolioMetrix has a nine-year performance track record in South Africa that has reliably produced superior results to mainstream multi-asset portfolios after all fees. We provide discretionary investment management services to leading financial advisers and private wealth managers. The business is designed to confer a material competitive advantage that places advisers at the forefront of developments in financial planning and wealth management. Our services are aimed at firms seeking a ‘safe pair of hands’ to partner with, particularly those wanting to combine individualised advice with a scalable operating model. PortfolioMetrix is unique and distinctive when compared to competitor propositions.
Summary of Role
The Junior Analyst’s role will be to assist the investment team both on investment related activities as well as on the administrative, procedural, trading and operational aspects of running portfolios.
The investment related activities will likely include fund manager and asset class research, ad-hoc investment projects, report writing as well as building and maintaining investment and quantitative models. There will also be a large portion of operational related activities including trade implementation, trade monitoring, account maintenance, support, data management and ensuring operational aspects of the investment process are accurately reflected in proprietary software systems.
- Monitoring, trading and reporting of various portfolios
- Assisting with the day to day operational issues associated with running portfolios
- Developing and maintaining the expertise, skill and technical knowledge required to add valuable input across the PortfolioMetrix investment proposition
- Working closely with the other members of the global investment team
- Interact with third party asset managers as part of the fund selection process
- Actively participating in global Investment Committee meetings
- Maintaining investment case documents and materials pertinent to the investment process
- Maintaining monitoring systems, updating research and making recommendations
- Building and maintaining quantitative and investment models
- Documenting meetings and maintaining records thereof
- Interacting with PortfolioMetrix’s in-house developers to help with the development of our tech functionality
- Meeting with both current and potential financial adviser partners to communicate the strengths of the PortfolioMetrix investment process
- Providing comprehensive, structured input to specific problems/requests in the advice process that lead to increased investment with PortfolioMetrix
- Accountability for scheduled engagements such as investment forum meetings, including preparation of materials and discussion points
- Proactively cultivate relationships and be prepared to engage socially where beneficial
Knowledge, Attributes and Skills
Cultural and personality fit will be critical. PortfolioMetrix is a dynamic business that retains a strong entrepreneurial spirit and has a driven, team-orientated culture.
The successful candidate will have:
- Good high level understanding of mathematics, statistics and investment theory.
- A pro-active approach to problem solving
- Attention to detail whilst being pragmatic and able to deliver at speed
- Outstanding computer skills including a very strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and in particular Microsoft Excel
- Keen intellect with a high level of commercial and financial acumen
- Basic Excel VBA or programming knowledge (or the ability to acquire it)
- A numerate mind that is interested in investments and financial planning
- The ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly-evolving environment
- Strong prioritisation skills
- Strong intellect with a high level of commercial and financial acumen
- A reputation for integrity and the ability to build trust and openness in those they deal with
- The ability to work in a smaller, entrepreneurial organisation
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal
- Good interpersonal skills
1 – 3 years relevant experience. Trading experience will be advantageous.
Education & Qualifications
Minimum requirement: Degree (Finance related degree or any degree supported by further financial training or qualifications)
CFA – Chartered Financial Analyst (or in training)
CAIA – Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (or in training)
A numerate degree
A post graduate degree
The package will reflect the experience and ability of the successful candidate. This will include a salary and may include a discretionary bonus.
Please apply by sending your CV and supporting documents (academic transcripts – required) to firstname.lastname@example.org