Intern - Fixed Income Research (3 months)
In your internship you will work closely with members of the fixed income team who will coach you and the Head of Fixed Income who will act as your mentor. They will allocate work to you, supervise you and provide ongoing feedback on your performance. They will act as a first point of contact for any queries or concerns you might have and also evaluate the success of your time with EFG at the end of your internship.
You will be working towards gaining practical skills and knowledge and improving understanding of a particular job or department. You will also familiarise yourself with the ways of working in the asset management industry, including meeting deadlines, working in a team and ways of communicating in a professional environment. Additionally, you will gain insight into the way organisations operate and the challenges they face. Finally, you will have an opportunity to start establishing a professional network.
You will be working with the Fixed Income Research team which will involve providing support to the evaluation and selection of fixed income securities, engaging in the preparation of investment documents for a variety of meetings and also supporting macro-economic research. The intern will also contribute with ad hoc projects involving data analysis and administrative duties.
- Learning how to use financial industry systems such as Bloomberg, Moody’s, Factset and UBS Delta.
- Gain an introduction to the technical knowledge associated with fixed income markets, trading and portfolio management.
- Assisting with data gathering, assessment and presentation of reports.
- Helping to produce documents, briefing papers and presentations.
- Produce meeting packs and minutes for departmental meetings.
- Attending meetings relevant research meetings with internal and external individuals.
- Supporting the team with work on internal systems including quantitative bond-valuation models.
- Helping to develop and improve efficiency for the team.
- Ad hoc research projects to support the research of the team.
- Develop, improve and maintain Excel templates for research tools.
- Attending weekly team meetings.
- Follow and maintain procedures.
- Assisting with departmental projects and other duties as assigned.
Required knowledge, skills and experience:
- Previous experience in the industry would be an advantage by not a requirement.
- Qualifications or an interest in fixed income mathematics, financial instruments, markets and investments are highly beneficial.
- Experience with Microsoft Office packages. Proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required.
- Ability to use VBA would be an advantage, but not required.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Keen to learn.
- Ability to maintain complete confidentiality at all times.
- Strong organisational and time management skills to meet deadlines set.
- Ability to work with a number of different people and manage own workload.
- Proactive to resolve issues and identify opportunities. A “can do” attitude.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work flexibly and proactively.
- No specific professional qualifications required.
- Must have completed at least 2 years of a relevant university degree.