Head of Research
FCLTGlobal is seeking to appoint a high caliber individual with a top-tier investment, business, or financial research experience and a mission orientation to lead the research team, reporting to the CEO of FCLTGlobal as a member of the organization’s senior leadership team.
The Head of Research will oversee a research team building a portfolio of research projects, some of which will be conducted in partnership with members, and others of which will be conducted by FCLTGlobal itself or in collaboration with academics or other research-oriented organizations. The Head will also work with the broader team in building the reputation of FCLTGlobal as a leader in research on sustainable capital markets, including by writing and editing whitepapers, positions papers, or topical research pieces.
This role requires a highly resourceful individual with deep interest in the issues around long-term capital markets, experience with global investors and corporations, and credibility among members and potential research partners. The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial and collaborative mindset, as well as outstanding analytical and communications skills.
The Head of Research role encompasses five primary responsibilities:
· Leading and delivering FCLTGlobal’s strategic research agenda. The Head will develop a long-term research strategy, building on the existing research and identifying the highest priority activities to pursue. This strategy will be developed with input from across FCLTGlobal’s staff and Members in conjunction with the Research Review Group and informed by member input, a mapping of the activities of relevant organizations, and an understanding of the potential impact of various research activities given FCLTGlobal’s unique strengths in the evolving dialogue on sustainable capitalism. The Head will then be responsible for managing those research projects to ensure delivery of high-quality insights and timely production of research products, including writing draft copy and editing final research products on FCLTGlobal’s behalf to maintain a consistent tone and communication style across publications.
· Leading the research team within FCLTGlobal. The research team at FCLTGlobal is focusing leading edge thinkers on the most interesting issues in our space. Developing and managing our experienced and diverse team of research professionals, with backgrounds in all elements of the investment value chain, is a top priority. This role will include recruiting new talent, providing professional development for team members, and guiding team members to deliver excellent work.
· Working with member organizations to develop and implement the research agenda. FCLTGlobal’s members have the ability to move markets. An important responsibility for the Head of Research is to ensure implementation of FCLTGlobal’s work and key insights through member organizations. Much of our research is done through member working groups to ensure that our recommendations are practical and can lead to desired outcomes. The Head of Research will work with Membership Engagement to get member input on the research agenda, identify opportunities to leverage member resources in carrying out research projects, and convene collaborative working groups.
· Building FCLTGlobal’s reputation as a thought leader. The Head of Research will be critical in strengthening the reputation of FCLTGlobal as a thought leader on issue of long-term capitalism. He or she will represent the organization at relevant events and conferences and will write and publish on behalf of the organization, working with the communications team to deliver the media and online communication strategy around research, including interim articles, op-eds, blogs and other pieces of communication.
· Supporting FCLTGlobal’s organizational development. The Head of Research will also maintain a flexible and collaborative approach to supporting the CEO and broader FCLTGlobal team in building and managing the organization. This might involve assisting with preparations for Board meetings, engaging with potential members, planning for events, or taking the lead on certain operations of the organization. The Head may also take primary relationship responsibility for some of our members.
FCLTGlobal combines the energy of a small start-up organization with the reach of a global network of top-tier member companies and investors. As such, the successful candidate will display creativity, passion, and an entrepreneurial spirit. In addition, the candidate will have an appreciation for the benefits of mission-driven goals along with investment or business strategic objectives. They must have a sense of urgency, a demonstrated comfort dealing with ambiguity and the tenacity to work through the unexpected.
In particular, candidates must have:
· Prior leadership experience working on research that deals with financial or investment concepts and content, such as sell-side research, buy-side research or portfolio management, management consulting, or financial journalism
· Outstanding educational credentials and work experience, including a relevant advanced degree and at least 10 years of progressive experience at globally leading firms
· Exceptional analytical and writing skills, including a proven ability to translate research into C-level communications
· Strong project management skills, including experience overseeing and/or supporting through to completion, on deadline, in a dynamic and changing environment
· Demonstrated experience working effectively and collaboratively both leading a talented team and in a cross-functional structure