Investment Portfolio Manager Generalist
Seeking an experienced, flexible, forward-thinking institutional money manager to join our team. This generalist manager position requires knowledge and expertise in portfolio investing. The successful candidate should have experience in security selection (individual stocks and/or bonds) and a working knowledge of investment theory. Knowledge of fixed income, common stocks, and banking is desired. Alternative investment experience, including private equity, is a definite plus.
The holder of this position will play a key role in the development of the investment strategy for the Company’s general account. This includes research and implementation of investment opportunities and managing risk through compliance with regulations and the Company’s Investment Policy. This position may also include responsibility for management of subsidiary portfolios.
Other responsibilities include active participation in the Multi-Asset Strategy and Allocation meetings, Alternative Asset Review and Selection meetings. Additional duties will include participation in Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) development activities. This team member may also publish a monthly economic update for distribution to the Company’s Senior Leadership Team.
- Play a key role in the development of the investment strategy for the bond portfolio (working with the Director, Treasury Management, the Vice President of Accounting and Finance, and all other investment area personnel) considering the Company’s tax position, NAIC regulations, Kentucky Department of Insurance regulations and the Company Investment Policy. This investment strategy is reported to the Company’s Finance Committee on a quarterly basis.
- Maintain working knowledge of financial regulatory environment (NAIC, Kentucky Department of Insurance, etc.) and proactively prepare for pending changes; constantly monitor compliance with regulations and internal policies.
- Develop a working knowledge of the Company’s tax model and keep abreast of current tax law (in regards to investments) in order to assist in the design of an investment strategy that will maximize after-tax results.
- Research investment opportunities in the fixed income markets and manage the Company’s bond portfolio in accordance with all regulations and the Company’s Investment Policy.
- Publish a monthly newsletter/economic update for distribution to the Company’s Senior Leadership Team, explaining how these news events will affect the markets and the Company’s portfolio strategies.
- Participate in the research, sourcing, allocation and monitoring of investments in alternative asset classes.
- Document all bond purchases and sale transactions for a monthly report to the Board of Directors.
- Assist in development of economic forecasts and interest rate changes, determining effects on portfolio and adjustment to investment strategy.
- Continually improve and add ways to monitor and analyze portfolio performance of the fixed income portfolio.
- Create investment income budget forecasts and monitor progress of actual vs. budget.
- Maintain brokerage relationships and always strive for best execution.
- Serve as backup to all investment area personnel.
- Adhere to AIMR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
- Work in partnership with the Equity Manager to ensure key responsibilities for both roles are adequately covered for business continuity purposes.
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to excel with limited supervision.
- Regular, predictable attendance as employee has to physically be in the office.
- The list of essential functions is non-exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Physical demands: Normal vision and hearing (with or without correction); Reading; Speaking; Sitting; Travel; Mobility
- Mental demands: Analytical reasoning; Prolonged concentration
- Environmental factors: Standard office lighting, temperature, and noise.
- Equipment: Bloomberg System; Keyboard; Telephone; Calculator.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or a related field.
- Minimum seven years’ experience in investing corporate funds and developing investment strategy, preferably in insurance or banking or fulfillment of all CFA requirements including the successful completion of three multi-level exams and four years of investment related work experience.
- Proficiency in standard software such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint as well as multi-faceted accounting and financial systems capability and ability to learn new systems as required.
- Evidence of specialized training in the financial markets. Advanced degree or FINRA series 7,63,65 licenses are helpful.
- Thorough understanding of risk controlled asset allocation and cash flow analysis is required.
- Extensive knowledge of investments, modern portfolio theory, financial concepts, accounting theory, and related terminology.
- High level of self-motivation and ability to collaborate with others, both internally and outside the organization.
- Confident, articulate presences and excellent presentation skills are vital to success.
- Ability to keep a positive attitude and work as a team member.
- Experience with report writing software is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to strictly adhere to Company Investment Policy.
- Experience with capital and/or cash markets is highly desirable.
More searches like this
- Insurance Insurance CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Portfolio Management: Equities Insurance CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Portfolio Management: Multi-Asset Insurance CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Private Equity/Venture Capital Insurance CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors