Senior Portfolio Manager
The Washington State Treasurer's Office is looking for a candidate with specialized education and work experience that demonstrates an expertise in the management of investment portfolios. This person will work extensively with the Treasury’s credit and core portfolios while maintaining the responsibility for implementing investment strategies and activities.
Knowledge, Skills, & Ability:
- Knowledge of investment principles and theory of portfolio development and management; the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data; corporate finance and credit fundamentals; ESG investments.
- Current legislation, mathematics and statistics; data science competency/interest.
- Ability to comprehend complex directives and regulations; conduct research; compile data and prepare written reports.
- Communicate investment information to both technical and non-technical audiences; create investment communications and participate in outreach activities at conferences and meetings.
- Exercise independent judgment over many transactions and investments; make sound and secure decisions within designated scope of responsibility.
- Responsible for managing the full complement of investment activities and strategies for the State’s core and credit portfolios. Ensure investment policies and procedures are consistent with achieving investment goals.
- Develop strategies utilizing macro-economic, relative-value, and technical insights to deliver a competitive rate of return across a variety of trading platforms.
- Proactively administer investment portfolio by assimilating data and information to develop action plans for investments.
- Develop and recommend programs to achieve investment objectives.
- Perform fundamental credit analysis to create and maintain a list of approved credits.
- Monitor credit market and corporate finance trends to optimize credit portfolio performance.
- Communicate strategies; Stay informed on evolving developments in the market place and partners with Investment Team Members to increase awareness of new investment strategies, products, important issues and topics.
- Perform attribution and market performance analysis.
- Utilize expertise in investments, economics and portfolio management theory to educate and be a resource to local constituents on investment strategies and programs for managing their local portfolios.
- Assist Deputy Treasurer/Chief Investment Officer with ad hoc projects
Hours of Work
Given the nature of the position and our location on the west coast, the hours for this position are 6:00 am to 3:00 pm.
A Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Mathematics, or closely allied field, and/or CFA designation, and 10 years of progressively responsible experience managing investment portfolios. Other combinations of education and work experience may be considered.