Internal Audit Manager - Front Office
Global Internal Audit is responsible for the internal audit function for Janus Henderson worldwide. The department has a current permanent in-house headcount of ten based in London, Denver, and Luxembourg. The Global Head of Internal Audit reports functionally to the Corporate Audit Committee and administratively to the General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and execute internal audits to evaluate the effectiveness of the controls in operation in the business to make recommendations for their improvement. This includes providing an opinion on the quality of the risk management processes.
- Develop, train, and coach other members of the Global Internal Audit team in the skills required to perform successful audit assignments.
- Assist in the preparation of Audit Committee papers for Janus Henderson Group as well as other reports required by specific fund Boards.
- Assist the Front Office functional audit team in risk assessment and relationship management for the entire Investments department.
- Perform peer reviews and quality review assessments of audit engagements performed by other auditors.
- Evaluate the implementation of agreed corrective actions.
- Contribute to an increased awareness in the business of the management of risk and the importance of sound business controls.
- Contribute to the development of the internal audit methodology and working practices operated by the department.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of the audit universe.
- Continuously develop own technical, commercial and personal skills.
- Promote a positive image of Internal Audit within the business through the quality and added-value of our work.
- This involves identifying the scope of the work for an audit, the objectives to be met, the timescales for completing the audit and the extent of audit testing that will be required. This stage of the audit will result in the production of an agreed Internal Audit Engagement Memo.
- This involves the documentation of systems and processes leading to the identification of key controls; undertaking and evaluating the results of audit testing; identifying weaknesses in controls and offering recommendations to management for their improvement.
- On completion of the fieldwork, closing meeting(s) will be held with auditee Management to discuss the results of the audit and obtain agreement with them to the actions proposed.
- Following the closing meeting, a draft audit report containing findings, conclusions and proposed remediation/corrective actions will be submitted to auditee Management to enable them to confirm their action plans, with timescales for completion, and who will be responsible for completing the actions. Following Internal Audit’s assessment of whether the proposed Management remediation/corrective action plans adequately address the related risks, a final audit report will be issued which incorporates the agreed Management action plans.
Monitoring of Outcomes
- Contribute to the monitoring of the agreed remediation action plans to ensure that management is on track for successful and timely completion.
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Significant internal and/or external auditing experience
- Significant previous experience in a similar audit role within the Financial Services Industry, preferably within Investment Management
- Experience in auditing the Front Office and Investment Management activity is essential
- Bachelor’s degree required or minimum educated to degree level or equivalent
- Relevant professional qualification preferred e.g. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Charted Financial Analyst (CFA), etc.
- Experience in using Computer Assisted Audit techniques will be a distinct advantage
- Big 4 experience is desirable but not required
- Ability to advise on multiple audit engagements simultaneously
- Willingness to work collaboratively within the Global Internal Audit team as well as with the business areas
- Demonstrate good time management
- Excellent review, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Excellent organisational and presentation skills
- Excellent relationship and negotiation skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Flexible, adaptable, and ability to respond effectively to changing business needs