Associate- Proprietary Investments
Primary Purpose :
The primary purpose of the position is to identify and recommend financial investment opportunities by conducting market research, being pro-active, and analyzing relevant data in order to maximize the company’s return on investments. This has to be achieved whilst remaining prudent and ethical in the approach and act in the best interest within the bank’s constraints. The role also requires ongoing monitoring and review of existing investments including performance and preparing recommendations on exiting them as required.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelors in Finance or Business Administration or a related subject with professional training certificates in investment analysis or management
- Minimum Experience: 3 to 5 years
- Professional Memberships: Achievement of or significant progress towards professional certificates such as CFA/ CAIA / FRM
- Experience: Prior experience in financial investment related areas (preferably buy side with exposure to multiple asset classes and geographies)
Specific Work Requirements:
- Knowledge in financial markets and instruments
- Sound understanding of financial statement analysis
- Knowledge in business modeling and forecasting
- Comfortable and good with quantitative data analysis
- Knowledge of different industries and asset classes
- Have good numeracy skills
- Business acumen and have an eye for opportunities
- Pro-active and feed investment ideas to relevant persons
- Basic understanding of accounting
- Display a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently, work with minimal supervision, and demonstrate responsible behavior and attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of asset valuation models
- Knowledge of specialist software such as Bloomberg
- Understanding of internal processes
- Willingness to work in excess of the normal schedule if required
Key Areas of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Investment Analysis (Funds / Securities)
- Making recommendations to Head of Investments, after analyzing all aspects of investment opportunities including risk or payoff for each recommendation; ensuring that all compliance and internal requirements are met.
- Analyzing financial information relating to specific Funds, e.g. qualitative analysis, quantitative analysis and performing thorough Due Diligence of the Fund, the Fund Manager, the Asset Management House and all other aspects related to the investment.
- Perform fundamental and ratio analysis, valuations and mathematical modeling of securities.
- Meeting with and providing information to fund managers; this might include, summaries of research, investment ideas, and key events from the proceeding day as well as key drivers for the day ahead.
- Drafting and writing research reports for internal use.
- Reviewing Funds and managing the relationship between SICO and the Fund Managers as well as follow-ups on performance, strategy and outlook of the Fund Managers which is documented in call reports and memo’s to management.
- Preparing presentations/market commentary for Senior Management, ALIC and other internal meetings.
- Portfolio Analysis
- Keeping up to date with market developments, new investment products and all other areas that can affect the markets.
- Provide outlook on various asset classes (both globally and in the GCC) and help feed recommendations on asset allocation.
- Evaluate economic implications of factors such as interest rate movements, inflation surprises, etc. on the performance of companies and funds.
- Forecasting macroeconomic trends and recommend ideas on the portfolio level.
- Monitoring the financial news using specialist media sources and recommend appropriate actions.
- Create presentations and follow up on management requests.
- Calculate performance and risk measures of the underlying portfolios.
- Recommend hedging strategies to safe-guard against adverse movements in macroeconomic variables or other factors.
- Adhoc tasks which may include administration, reconciliation, corroboration with other departments and testing
- External Fund Management
- Identify and select suitable fund managers for external management portfolio.
- Calculate performance and undertake statistical analysis on the strategies / funds / managers.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of the markets in order to identify suitable investment opportunities.
- Meet with fund managers and analyze their investment process and other relevant aspects.
- Conducting due diligence on funds and industries by researching, reading financial statements and market data and prepare recommendations.