Senior Business Developer / Relationship Manager - Public Funds Investors
PFM is a privately held registered investment advisor headquartered in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, with offices around the country and is among the leading investment managers in the United States. PFM provides cash management, investment management and consulting services to local governments and other tax-exempt institutions. For the period ending June 30, 2019, PFM Asset Management LLC had $140.8 billion in total assets, including $102.8 billion in discretionary assets under management and $38.0 billion in non-discretionary assets under advisement.
For public funds investors, PFM offers a combination of pooled investment and separate account investment services. Through these structures PFM assists clients with a wide variety of mandates from short term debt service accounts to capital projects accounts to long term reserves.
PFM is currently seeking a Senior Business Developer / Relationship Manager to lead new business development and client relationship management initiatives for our investment advisory practice.
This is a senior position with responsibility for leading business development strategies to continue building our client base in the Pacific Northwest. This role will also serve as the key point of contact to a subset of PFM’s existing clients. This individual will be charged with leading and strengthening existing client engagements primarily in the Pacific Northwest. The Business Developer will establish and maintain client interface with CFOs, Finance Directors, and Investment Committees, in general, providing capital market and economic updates, performance reviews, advice of cash flow analysis, investment policy documentation, and investment strategy development.
Travel to clients and prospects throughout the region is required for this role. When not traveling, this person will work from PFM’s Seattle or Portland office.
All applicants should have a superior understanding of the institutional investment market, experience working in or with public sector and other institutional investors, and prior people management experience.
Key tasks include:
• Expand PFM’s separate account management and multi-asset class business in WA and OR by identifying targets and seeking mandates in areas such as state and local governments, special districts, self-insurance funds, not-for-profits, healthcare and higher education institutions, and developing strategies for closing new business;
• Develop and expand business while maintaining existing relationships with investment management clients (primarily public agencies);
• Coordinate information flow between staff, clients, and PFM project and product managers on a regular basis;
• Coordinate preparation of client reports and other written communications;
• Present reports and other materials to clients at meetings;
• Analyze various options to come up with optimal investment solutions for our clients;
• Create innovative ways of educating clients and prospects on current market events and investment opportunities; and,
• Support other sales, marketing and service activities as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree required. CFA charterholder a plus, but not required.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive sales, marketing, business development, relationship management or other highly related experience in the public sector, ERISA or not-for-profit arena. Experience in servicing governments, healthcare, higher education, and/or other not-for-profit institutional clients strongly preferred.
- Candidate should be well versed across the investible capital markets but especially in multi-asset class options including equity and fixed income funds, short and intermediate-term fixed income investments, and money market instruments.
- Self-motivated with a proven successful business development / corporate development track record.
- Flexible, adaptable and creative, with an ability to think and act strategically.
- Demonstrates a disciplined process for pursuing and winning long sales cycle investment management mandates.
- Possesses a high degree of investment acumen, institutional client-facing, and presentation skills.
- Outstanding project management skills with proven ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to a changing, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to operate successfully in and lead in a team environment.
- Demonstrates unwavering integrity and instills confidence in others.
- Desire to improve processes, take initiative and solve problems.
- Strong quantitative, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office applications and related technologies.
PFM’s total rewards package includes a competitive base salary, bonus eligibility, and comprehensive benefits package. PFM also offers the option for participation in profit sharing and 401K plans.
PFM is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
PFM is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and maintains a drug-free work environment.