Manager, Transactions (M&A)
Who we are
You know those big cities that still feel like small towns? Where everyone’s friendly and helps each other out? That’s like Grant Thornton. Except here we’re all professionals and there isn’t a mayor or a general store. What we’re trying to say is that we’re a very different kind of professional services firm where culture is at the heart of who we are and what we do. We employ about 2400 people across Canada, and we truly care about helping our clients, colleagues, and communities thrive. That’s what’s most important to us.
Our Advisory Services practice is looking for a Manager in the Transactions group. The Transactions team provides financial advisory services to middle-market businesses in Canada and around the world in the areas of Transaction Advisory Services, Capital Advisory, Valuations, and Mergers & Acquisitions. You will play an integral role within the Transactions team by supporting and managing various aspects of client engagements.
As a highly motivated professional, in this role you will be expected to support the other members of the Transactions team, primarily with M&A and capital advisory engagements.
As a Manager your responsibilities will include:
- Assist our M&A professionals in the lead advisory role of divestitures, acquisitions and financing transactions;
- Meeting with clients to understand and analyze their businesses;
- Undertaking qualitative and quantitative analyses to develop and validate solutions;
- Building detailed financial models, including dynamic functionality to allow for sensitivity analysis and stress testing;
- Conducting industry and market research;
- Researching public companies to develop peer group valuations;
- Performing comparable transaction analysis;
- Developing target lists of prospective purchasers or investors for sell side mandates and acquisition targets for buy side mandates;
- Preparing information memorandums for divestiture and capital advisory mandates;
- Preparing presentations and proposals;
- Facilitating financial due diligence in respect of potential M&A transactions;
- Overseeing the due diligence process including managing virtual data rooms;
- Conducting financial analysis and reporting on key findings and insights to support clients through the transaction process;
- Recognizing, analyzing and commenting on critical transaction risks;
- Supporting senior practitioners and legal counsel in the review and negotiation of legal agreements including confidentiality agreements, indicative offers, letters of intent, and purchase/sale agreements.
- Developing your personal network and working towards new client origination;
- Involvement in group administrative duties (i.e., preparation of engagement letters, etc.).
Be Grant Thornton
If you’re a bit like us, you’re driven to connect with how others are feeling and thinking. Here we walk in others shoes before taking action. Just imagine being part of a team that puts we before me, where flexibility is a mindset, and where you trust your colleagues have your back. At Grant Thornton, you’ll work with inspiring leaders who support your development, both personally and professionally. This is a place where your insatiable curiosity enables you to think, see and hear from a variety of perspectives, a place where every day is different and having the courage to grow is part of who you are. And when all this comes together, well that’s when the magic happens.
Think you’ve got what it takes to be a Manager, Transactions? Like the colour purple? Great. Here's a few more boxes we’re also hoping you can tick:
- 3-5 years’ experience in mergers & acquisitions/corporate finance;
- Experience with financial modeling, forecasting and planning;
- Advanced business degree (MBA) and/or accounting/finance designation (CPA, CFA, CBV) or equivalent experience;
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with advanced Excel skills for financial modeling purposes;
- Strong online research database skills (Capital IQ, PitchBook);
- Comprehensive knowledge of the transaction lifecycle and normal course M&A and financing transaction deal terms;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to explain financial results to clients without strong accounting/finance backgrounds;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Team player with a positive attitude;
- Willingness to work through peak periods with the team, as required;
- A strong desire to help clients succeed in all aspects of their operations;
- The ability to work independently as part of a team, seeing a project through from start to finish, and participating in the closing celebration;
- The ability to talk to and meet with people at various levels throughout an organization;
- Detail oriented with strong time management and prioritization skills;
- Access to a car and possession of a valid driver’s license.
Location: Toronto (travel to client locations and other Grant Thornton offices in Ontario will be required periodically)
At Grant Thornton we’re focused on making a difference in the lives of our clients, our colleagues and our communities. That’s our purpose. Or, as we like to say, living our purple.
Are you ready to Discover Your Purple?