Associate, Performance & Attribution
This Los Angeles based position is within the Performance & Attribution team of Ares Management LLC.
The Performance & Attribution team fosters a collaborative environment, interacting with different departments within the firm. The associate will be responsible for data validation and generating a plethora of ad-hoc, daily, monthly, and quarterly performance & attribution reports for the portfolio management and investor relations teams within the Tradable Credit and Direct Lending business units.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performance Measurement: Calculate security, sector, and total-level performance results for use in internal, client, and shareholder reporting, and performance composites.
- Performance Evaluation and Analysis: Calculate and interpret single period and multi-period contribution and attribution results, and performance-based risk and appraisal metrics for portfolio management and investor relations teams.
- Investor Relations Support: Fulfill ad hoc client and marketing requests, and answer DDQ and RFP questions.
- Data Integrity and Analysis: Ensure that data properly flows from the accounting system to the performance system, troubleshoot issues, and evaluate how to process new transaction types.
- Compliance: Adhere to procedures designed to ensure compliance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS) and SEC regulations.
- Strategic Projects: Assist with planning and executing strategic projects such as onboarding assets from acquisitions, performance system development, and integrating non-supported business units.
- Process Optimization: Help develop innovative solutions to increase efficiency and enhance reporting and analytical capabilities of the team.
- Education/Certification: Bachelor's degree in a business-related or quantitative field preferred (e.g. economics, statistics, mathematics, finance, accounting, etc.).
- Candidate with CFA charter and/or CIPM designation is desirable.
- Commitment to pursue CIPM designation is required for candidates without CFA charter or CIPM designation.
1 - 3 years of performance-related experience is required. Portfolio accounting-related experience is a plus.
- Understand performance concepts, including contribution, attribution, multi-period contribution and attribution smoothing techniques, performance-based risk and appraisal metrics, basic portfolio accounting, and application of the GIPS standards.
- Strong fixed-income product knowledge, including leveraged loans, high yield bonds, derivatives, and other fixed income instruments.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Ownership of work with a high focus on service.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Process oriented with the ability to identify inefficiencies and suggest workable solutions to streamline tasks.
- Multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines with limited direction.
- Strong attention to detail with high level of accuracy and process ownership.
- Excellent MS Excel skills that include the ability to create and manipulate pivot tables and write complex formulas.
- Experience using Eagle PACE, Advent Geneva, and Bloomberg is desirable.
- Basic understanding of Python, SQL, Tableau, and database structuring a plus.
Reports to: Vice President, Performance & Attribution