Director of Investment Management (Program Director)
How will your role impact First Command?
As the Director, you will be responsible for leading the Analyst(s) and Portfolio Manager(s) on the Investment Management Team. The Investment Management Team is responsible for managing the Asset Management Solutions program, a $13.5 billion mutual fund/ETF wrap fee program. You will be expected to provide coaching and guidance to team members on professional growth and performance evaluations, in addition to the day-to-day responsibilities as the Senior Portfolio Manager of the team. In the role of Senior Portfolio Manager, you will conduct due diligence on investment managers and analyzes financial market conditions. Emphasis will be on: (1) interviewing current and prospective investment managers and contributing to team recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative criteria, and (2) working on strategic asset allocation, tactical asset allocation, rebalancing methodology, and portfolio construction. You will be expected to maintain a high awareness of current economic and market events.
What will you be doing?
- Due Diligence Research on all existing and potential retail and managed account investment solutions, with an emphasis on First Command’s fund family partners. Works with the Chief Investment Officer on final decisions regarding asset allocation and investment selection for managed portfolios. Due Diligence emphasizes both quantitative and qualitative research in support of the investment managers selected for First Command’s portfolios. These activities include:
- Conducting in-depth conference calls or in-person meetings with fund and strategy portfolio management teams across multiple asset classes. Candidate must be willing to travel up to 25% in any given month.
- Discerning, documenting, and conveying the drivers for selected investment strategies, concentrating on identifying the pros and cons surrounding the people, philosophy, process, performance, and price of each strategy.
- Identifying other potential risks (operational, administrative, etc.) to take into account when evaluating investment strategies.
- Portfolio Management: Performs analysis of asset class performance and valuation, and seeks to optimize portfolio given forward-looking asset class and investment manager expectations. Implements First Command’s investment process and philosophy. Initiates and maintains relationships with investment relationships. Responsible for working on strategic asset allocation, tactical asset allocation, rebalancing methodology, and portfolio construction.
- Reporting: Provides ongoing information for investment committees.
- Operational Implementation: Assists in operational implementation of investment recommendations.
- Writing Commentary: Has the ability to write “Plain English” commentary on the economy, the capital markets, and First Command portfolios.
- Communication, Advisor Support, and Training: Serves as a subject matter expert for internal support personnel. Occasionally responds directly to advisor and client inquiries via telephone or e-mail as necessary. Occasionally participates in training sessions or other presentations to internal and external constituents, including client seminars. Assists with development of client/advisor communications and development of advisor training.
What skills/qualifications do you need?
- Oversees and coordinates the team’s day-to-day activities.
- Supports the advancement of team members’ investment skills and coaches members in the development of their investment career.
- Bachelor's degree required with a preferred emphasis on finance, accounting, or business.
- Master’s degree a plus
- At least 12+ years of investment experience, including at least 4+ years as a portfolio manager.
- Some military experience preferred.
- CFA, CIMA, or Master’s Degree in a related field required. FRM, CAIA, CFP, etc. or progress towards any of these designations is a plus.
- Candidate will be expected to become FINRA Series 7, 24, and 66 licensed within 180 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Delivers quality, detail-oriented analysis.
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office products, particularly in Excel (VBA coding knowledge a plus), PowerPoint, and Word.
- Familiarity with Morningstar Direct required.
- Familiarity with Bloomberg and Pershing’s NetX360 a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form.
- Able to present to live audiences