Director - Credit Risk Management
Role Value Proposition:
Credit Risk Management, an independent review function within MetLife’s Investment Risk Management team, is seeking a Director to support the oversight of credit risks generated in MetLife’s private placement investment portfolios. We are looking for a Private Placement Credit Analyst (Director level) who would be responsible for analyzing the credit and legal aspects of private placement deals, monitoring covenant quality and credits in which MetLife has invested.
This position will be responsible for credit risk surveillance, monitoring exposures against limits, and identifying emerging risks and concentrations within the Private Placement portfolio. This position will also be responsible for assisting– with all credit risk related matters, including preparing analyses for senior management (e.g. Chief Risk Officer), reviewing and challenging internal ratings, monitoring rating and hierarchy overrides, identifying significant changes in credit quality (e.g. rating migration, fallen angels), and analyzing how long-term sector trends and events could impact our portfolios. Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate solid quantitative and qualitative credit skills that span across industry sectors.
- Conduct credit risk surveillance on MetLife’s investment portfolios with a specific focus on the private placement portfolio;
- Interact regularly with portfolio teams to understand trends and evolving risks within the portfolio, develop appropriate responses, and communicate risks and strategies throughout the risk organization.
- Maintain industry expertise and conduct research to anticipate cycles, secular trends and structural changes
- Produce industry/sector credit research that supports existing portfolios and identifies trends/issues to facilitate credit oversight of our risk positions.
- Ensure the maintenance of solid credit analyses by the origination team and ensure that credit risk policies & procedures are comprehensive
- Write company reviews to review and challenge assigned ratings.
- Assist in the design, development and implementation of credit risk analytic tools, including economic capital, probability of default, loss given default, exposure at default, expected loss modeling, etc. to effectively monitor investment risks and enhance the decision making and risk management process.
- Timely review of limit breeches and requests to exceed limits; recommend remediation.
- Support management in preparing various credit risk dashboard and reporting
- Update and enhance relevant credit policies and procedures for the various asset classes. Monitor the portfolios for regular compliance of all policies and procedures.
- Review and discuss Watch Lists exposures with the Head of Credit Risk Surveillance on a regular basis to ensure appropriate high-risk positions are being adequately addressed and monitored.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Minimum of 8 years in a credit capacity or risk management; 4+ years covering Private Placements.
- Formal credit training. Solid credit background and ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of fundamental credit analysis and key drivers of credit risk trends.
- Advance degree required (e.g. MBA or Law degree or master’s degree in finance, accounting or economics).
- Strong understanding of legal documentation in the private placement industry.
- Professional designation is preferred (CFA, FRM, CPA, etc.).
- Team oriented/strong communication - must be able to work with people of diverse skills and personalities. Ability to work effectively with key partners (e.g. Investments, Legal, etc.).
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), strong presentation & organizational skills and the ability to interface successfully within all levels of a large organization.
- Self-starter - must possess strong self-improvement initiative.
- Creative - have the ability to think outside the box on complex credit situations.
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
Global Risk Management
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.