Analyst, Pension Assets
Job Title: Analyst, Pension Assets
- Req ID: 75566
- Department: Finance & Accounting
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
CP’s defined benefit and defined contribution pension plans provide important financial security for employees and beneficiaries, which is a key factor in attracting and retaining talented railroaders at CP. The Canadian Defined Benefit plan, the company’s largest pension plan, has $13 billion of assets invested in various types of investments in different markets around the world. The Pension Assets team provides important oversight for the company’s pension assets, ensuring that the pension plans remain well funded and protecting the long-term financial wellness of the company and plan beneficiaries.
The Pension Assets team is responsible for overseeing the pension investments for all of the company’s pension plans, including investment strategy, implementation, operations, accounting and reporting. This provides exciting opportunities to learn about investment management, custodial banking, cash management, pension accounting, and internal/SOX controls.
The Analyst, Pension Assets will make important contributions across a number of areas of responsibilities, including some or all of the following:
- Management of the pension plan’s operating account, including forecasting cash flows and executing transactions such as cash transfers, expense payments, capital calls, and FX transactions;
- Coordination of investment operations, accounting and reporting with custodian banks and investment managers;
- Preparation of performance reports for senior leaders and management and board committees;
- Assist with the development of pension investment strategies, including asset allocation, portfolio strategies, and risk management;
- Assist with the preparation of annual financial statements for Canadian DB and DC plans, including providing support to external auditors;
- Assist with year-end reporting for the company’s financials, including providing support to external auditors;
- Assist with the preparation of annual expense budgets and variance analysis;
- Support administration of CP’s pension fund assets in compliance with investment policies;
- Assist with the preparation of internal controls and SOX controls to support a robust control framework.
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce, Accounting, Finance, Economics, or other relevant field;
- Working knowledge of accounting, finance, and investment concepts;
- Preference for CFA or CPA candidate with demonstrated progress;
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience;
- Excellent analytical, financial modelling, and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail;
- Strong organizational, time management and communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Self-motivated individual who can take initiative to drive change and work independently with limited oversight.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").