Corporate Engagement Strategist
Calvert Research and Management (CRM) is seeking an experienced individual with a business analysis skill set to contribute to Calvert’s corporate engagement on environmental, social and governance ESG) issues (sometimes called active ownership). Catalyzing positive change at companies in order to improve social and environmental outcomes, strengthen governance and improve investor returns is central to the mission of CRM.
The qualified candidate will join a diverse and highly skilled team of engagement specialists who drive positive change through Calvert’s investment and engagement work. We recognize that qualified candidates may not have direct experience in active ownership. Excellent communication skills, investment research and/or business analysis capabilities, a demonstrated interest in ESG and a strong desire to create positive change are essential traits.
Corporate Engagement & Shareholder Activism
- Identify Engagement Targets: Using both a systematic/top-down monitoring approach and a bottom-up research approach, identify publicly traded companies that have the potential for improved long-term financial results through better management execution on material ESG topics. Determine which companies offer the most attractive opportunities for Calvert to strengthen its position as an investor, and develop corporate engagement strategy for these companies (“subject companies”).
- Conduct dialogues with companies: Engage in dialogue with senior executives and board members of the subject companies. Track progress and report on milestones regularly and frequently to CEO.
- File Shareholder Proposals: Prepare and file shareowner resolutions when needed to move the engagement strategy forward.
- Collaborate with other investors: Establish and maintain relationships with other active asset owners and managers to build and participate in coalitions of investors to drive positive change.
Investment Research & Analysis
- Analyze social, environmental and governance issues to identify emerging themes for engagement.
- Provide input and analysis to Calvert’s investment research team on the subject companies.
- Assist proxy specialist in analysis of votes at subject companies.
- Provide analytics and data to respond to a variety of reporting needs (Sales, Marketing, RFPs, etc.).
- Assist with developing reporting and presentations related to engagement and proxy voting trends.