About the Firm
Sands Capital Management, LLC (Sands Capital) is an independent investment management firm located in Arlington, Virginia, minutes from downtown Washington, D.C. Since its founding in 1992, Sands Capital has managed a long only, concentrated portfolio of 25-30 large capitalization stocks selected through a rigorous, bottom-up fundamental research process that aims to identify high quality growth businesses. In addition to this flagship strategy, Sands Capital has introduced newer strategies over time such as Global Growth (2009), Emerging Markets Growth (2013), and Global Leaders (2017), all based on the same long-only, concentrated, growth investing principles but with a wider geographic mandate. As we have expanded our geographic reach, we’ve learned to incorporate macroeconomic, currency, and political research analysis as a layer to our research process to complement our bottom-up company analysis. Today we are one of the largest investors in many of the world’s leading growth companies and we have compiled strong long-term investment results across each of these investment strategies. Sands Capital currently manages approximately $40 billion in client assets.
Identified below are our Core Values that we hold in high regard and believe are critical for high-performing teams at Sands Capital:
Integrity & Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
Research Associates (RA) will support our experienced team of Analysts to help cover existing investments and conduct research on new investment ideas within our various sectors. An RA who excels in his/her role will have increased input into the investment decision making process and will take on greater responsibility for planning research projects and managing junior staff members.
The RA is responsible for:
- Successfully completing all research projects by:
- Creating and maintaining financial models that support the investment decision process
- Crafting well-informed and succinct earning notes and headlines
- Preparing presentations to support bringing new ideas to the portfolio
- Executing on functional tasks by:
- Accurately uploading proprietary company data to FactSet
- Running and distributing key company and portfolio level reports
- Updating and maintaining key Investment Team and sector-specific documents and tools to include: company models, sector screens and data tracking
- Developing a strong team dynamic by building and sustaining effective and supportive working relationships within and between sectors by:
- Prioritizing research with your sector Team(s) and sector heads
- Establishing transparency and embracing best practices by communicating priorities, projects, and other status updates with the sector team(s) and sector heads
- Exhibiting the behaviors consistent with Sands Capital’s values and culture
The Research Associate is expected to work for 2-4 years before returning to graduate school or leaving to pursue other professional opportunities.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering or other relevant major
- 0-3 years of experience working in the investment research industry, including investment banking
- Superior modeling/Excel skills
- A genuine and demonstrable interest in investment research
- Exceptional work ethic and an ability to complete assigned projects in a timely manner without direct supervision
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding analytical and strategic aptitude
- Interest in pursuing a CFA is preferred (Sands Capital subsidizes costs related to CFA exams)
To be considered, candidates must submit a cover letter and resume that specifically outlines your qualifications for the position and why you want to work at Sands Capital. Please address the following topics in your cover letter:
- How you cultivated an interest in investing.
- Why you are interested in Sands Capital.
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply through our careers site at http://sandscapital.com/careers/
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Sands Capital Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer.