INVESTMENT COUNSELLOR - INDIVIDUAL CLIENT MANAGEMENT
Full Time: Calgary, AB
Be Boring. Make Money.™ is our investment approach, but we are anything but dull. We are a diverse team of
professionals—all with a shared goal: to be the best.
We celebrate our unique and independent culture. We take pride in doing things a little differently than other investment firms. Our pursuit of excellence means that a career with Mawer is demanding, however, interesting challenges are plentiful, and innovative ideas, diverse opinions, and teamwork are expected and rewarded regardless of title or tenure.
Our team of professionals is currently looking for an exceptional and experienced new member to join our Calgary office and continue to build on our successes in investment counselling with private clients in Canada. Responsible for business development, relationship management, portfolio oversight, and community representation, the successful candidate will help grow our private client and family office businesses specifically in Western Canada.
This position reports to the Director of Individual Client Management.
- Develop, recommend, and execute investment strategies to achieve clients’ investment objectives.
- Apply holistic oversight, consolidated investment policy design, asset allocation, and asset location in client portfolios.
- Clearly communicate the firm’s investment strategies to clients, including their rationale, implications, and expected consequences.
- Comply with appropriate processes, policies, and regulations in performing assigned responsibilities.
- Assume responsibility for all aspects of client service and reporting, including compliance, quarterly investment commentary, quarterly reporting, and client review meetings.
- Coordinate all client requests with appropriate areas of the firm.
- Develop strategic alliances, cultivate referrals, and build Mawer’s relationships and presence.
- Promote Mawer through active community networking.
Education & Skills
- CFA designation
- CFP or equivalent preferred
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Advanced (10+ years) discretionary portfolio management experience
- Proven business development track record
- Established team leader
- Currently registered as an IC/PM with the provincial securities commission where operating
- In-depth understanding of the technical aspects and policies that apply to and regulate various portfolio types
- Competency in technical aspects of portfolio management and proficiency in their application
- Strong understanding of how advanced financial planning, estate planning, and tax planning issues affect portfolio management
- Team player with a can-do mindset
- Directly contribute to the firm’s growth as a global investment manager.
- Learn and work alongside high-performing individuals, within a team that has consistently delivered exceptional long-term investment results and the highest levels of client satisfaction (our client retention is 99%).
- Be a part of a meritocracy in which the quality of ideas supersedes hierarchy. At Mawer, talented individuals can progress quickly, regardless of tenure or experience.
- We offer the potential for ownership over time based on the firm’s selection criteria.
- We have a unique culture, one that emphasizes integrity, clients’ interests, excellence, teamwork, and long-term thinking.
Established in 1974, Mawer Investment Management Ltd. is an independent firm that provides investment management across all major asset classes to a broad range of individual and institutional clients. We are proud of our reputation as one of Canada’s most respected investment management firms and strive to continually deliver long-term investment excellence, build strong client partnerships, and live our core values. Mawer currently has over $55 billion in assets under management and employs over 150 people across locations in Calgary, Toronto, and Singapore.
Applicants should visit http://www.mawer.com/careers/ to view this job posting and other Current Opportunities. Please submit your résumé and cover letter. Only applications that include all require materials will be considered.
No telephone inquiries please.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.