Orbis in Hong Kong
Orbis Investment Management (Hong Kong) Limited is based in Hong Kong and responsible for research and investment management in Global Emerging Markets. We are actively growing from our current base of approx. 10 professionals.
As an Investment Analyst you would conduct fundamental, bottom-up research and identify equity investment opportunities based on long-term return prospects. Orbis’ investment philosophy is to buy and hold shares when they are priced substantially below our assessment of their intrinsic value. We believe that owning attractive but out-of-favour businesses for the long term is the best way to generate returns for our clients.
An Investment Analyst’s key role is to generate primary research that results in investment recommendations for our funds. As such, your responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- Performing rigorous, bottom-up analysis, using both quantitative and qualitative approaches
- Developing an independent, fact-driven perspective on individual stocks
- Meeting with senior management teams of the companies under research
- Authoring written reports that clearly articulate an investment case, including the appropriate supporting evidence and quantitative analysis
- Recommending stocks for consideration in the funds and debating stock recommendations with other Orbis investment professionals
- Track record of exceptional academic achievement
- 2-5 years’ experience in either investment research, investment banking, or management consulting
- Native fluency in Chinese, Korean, Russian, Portuguese, or Spanish, in addition to English
- Strong interest in business and investing
- Independent thinking
Instructions for Application
To apply, please send your résumé, along with your answers to the following 3 questions:
- Why are you interested in business and investing (please illustrate)?
- Which attributes of Orbis are most appealing to you?
- Why is Hong Kong your location of choice for the long-term?
Please limit your answers to one page and submit the application in one combined PDF file. We are only able to respond to successful candidates.
15 August 2019. Early applications welcome.
Orbis is a global, privately owned investment firm, managing in excess of $30 billion of assets with offices across 5 continents and over 400 professionals. We have been creating long-term value for our clients since 1990. Our investment philosophy is fundamental, long-term and contrarian and we are uniquely structured to encourage bold but considered decisions, even in times of stress. As a firm, our business model requires us to deliver meaningful outperformance to our clients.
We believe that to generate better long-term returns than the market, you need to do things differently to others in it.