Research Associate - Oil & Gas
Research Associate - Oil & Gas
Research Associates play an integral role in the Equity Research department by providing crucial assistance to our Equity Research Analysts. Individuals in this role are learning and developing the techniques and skills necessary for investment analysis and research of securities. The Research Associate works closely with the Research Analyst to develop financial forecasts and provide recommendations on particular stocks. Associates typically gain an in depth understanding of the financial and operational issues within a particular sector, gaining valuable skills, knowledge, and relationships. This position is based in Calgary.
Qualifications & Skills:
- A university degree in business, engineering, geology or geophysics is required
- An MBA, CPA designation, Masters of Finance degree or enrollment in/completion of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program would be an asset
- Work experience in a financial, engineering, analytical, corporate development or M&A capacity in the oil & gas sector would be an asset
- Strong accounting, financial modeling, graphing, and analytical skills
- Excellent command of Microsoft Suite, with a particular emphasis on Excel
- Experience with VBA or another object-oriented programming language would be an asset
- Experience using mapping software such as geoScout would be an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Capital Markets knowledge/experience would be an asset
- Experience using Bloomberg and FactSet would be an asset
- Good business judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and meet tight deadlines, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Ability to multi-task and manage several on-going projects at the same time
- Energetic, self-motivated, hardworking and detail-oriented
- Perform comprehensive financial statement analysis and create and maintain financial models
- Conduct in-depth industry analysis and research using industry and financial sources
- Collect, consolidate and interpret company and industry data
- Assist in writing research publications and morning comments
- Follow market news and evaluate market data to assess short and long-term trends
- Generate tables and graphs
- Prepare marketing presentations for analyst meetings with internal and external clients
- Communicate and handle enquiries from institutional investors on the analyst's behalf
- Develop and maintain connections with investor relations and management of companies under coverage group
- Liaise with sales, trading and other areas of the firm within regulatory guidelines and under the analyst’s supervision
Evening and weekend work is often required.
Scotiabank rewards initiative with a competitive salary and benefits package. If you are interested in being considered for this position, please forward your résumé and detailed cover letter to EquityResearch.Resumes@scotiabank.com and indicate “Research Associate: Oil & Gas” in the subject line.
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.