Prime Buchholz LLC was established in 1988 and has grown to become a leading, completely independent investment consulting firm advising more than 260 institutional clients. Headquartered in Portsmouth, NH—with offices in Boston and Atlanta—Prime Buchholz was one of the first investment consulting firms to develop in-depth expertise in alternative investments such as hedge funds, private equity, and real assets.
Our clients include educational endowments, private and public foundations, cultural and religious organizations, health care and insurance organizations, pension plans, and high net worth families. We work closely with our clients to create, implement, and monitor investment policies and asset allocation strategies intended to meet their unique investment goals.
Throughout our history, Prime Buchholz has partnered with clients who have sought to align their investments with their missions. We have been helping clients—from endowments divesting from fossil fuels, to foundations proactively investing in solution-oriented products, to clients seeking managers that integrate environment, social, and governance (ESG) factors into their investment process—create portfolios that reflect their values for nearly three decades.
We are seeking an experienced Investment Consultant to join our expanding team. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in advising a variety of client types including educational endowments, private and public foundations, health care organizations, cultural and faith-based organizations, defined benefit and defined contribution plans, and high net worth families. The successful candidate will have experience building customized and diversified portfolios for clients across asset classes on both a nondiscretionary and a discretionary basis. Expertise with ESG, mission-aligned investing, and impact investing is strongly desired.
After an initial orientation period at our Portsmouth, NH headquarters, this position may be based in Portsmouth, Boston, or remotely.
What You'll Do
- Guide clients in setting and revising investment objectives
- Determine asset allocation
- Select investment managers and custodians
- Monitor performance, and managing portfolio risks
- Lead client investment teams and relationships
- Contribute to the firm’s thought leadership
- Serve on internal asset class investment committees
- Contribute to manager research and due diligence
- Represent the firm externally at industry conferences, and playing a significant role in acquiring new client relationships
- Up to 50% travel required
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 15 years of investment related experience
- A minimum of 7 years of experience advising endowments and foundations, or other institutional clients, as the lead consultant or OCIO
- Proven experience working with and influencing a diverse group of investment committees across different client types
- College degree required. Advanced degree and/or the CFA® designation or CAIA® designation is a plus
What We Offer
- Competitive pay and benefits – May include matching 401k contributions, profit-sharing, discretionary bonuses, health/dental/vision insurance plans, and generous paid time off.
- Meaningful work and mission – You already know we help bring our clients’ dreams to fruition; what sets us apart is that we do it with a rare independence that allows us to put clients first—always.
- Direct access to firm principals – Our size allows for firmwide collaboration and regular exposure to our leaders.
- Respect for (and flexibility that allows for) work/life balance – And—while you’re at the office—a genial, collaborative office culture.
- Opportunities for growth, both personal and professional – We encourage professional development and internal advancement. We also actively support our employees’ community volunteerism, as well as mental and physical health activities.
- Location – City vibe or country charm—you don’t have to choose. We’re headquartered in the small, historic city of Portsmouth, NH. And while it may be small, it packs cultural, culinary, and entertainment punches strong enough to keep ears ringing nationwide.
- Fun! – There’s no taking away from how seriously we take our mission, but we also enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We even have a Fun Committee. Think catered lunches, firm outings and activities, lunchtime fitness classes, and more.
Prime Buchholz is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other category protected by law.