Managing Director, Private Investment Counsel
Managing Director, Private Investment Counsel - Calgary or Edmonton
Area of Expertise
ATB Financial -> ATB Wealth
Calgary - CALGARY, AB CA (Primary)
Edmonton - Edmonton, AB T5J 0N3 CA
# of Positions Available
Accounting / Finance / Insurance, Banking / Real Estate / Mortgage / Professionals, Investment / Wealth
Who are we?
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Creating happiness and doing things other banks wouldn’t do. That’s ATB Wealth.
ATB Wealth is the wealth management division of ATB Financial. Our team of advisors have a passion for listening to the needs of their clients; a desire to develop trusting relationships through smart, simple and helpful investment advice; and a commitment to helping Albertans live the life they want to live.
Who are you?
Coach of the Year. Magnificent Mentor. Visionary. Motivator. Team Player. Whether at work or out in your community, you are the person that knows how to bring it all together. You’re a natural leader and your passion and excitement comes from knowing that your efforts make a significant difference in the lives of your team members, customers and the community around you. If this sounds like something you want to be part of then we want to hear your “Story” we are listening! You can read about our services and our team to learn more.
MANAGING DIRECTOR, PRIVATE INVESTMENT COUNSEL
The Managing Director (MD) provides guidance and support to the ATB team members affiliated with our Private Investment Counsel business line. The MD role is accountable for leading the PIC business line by applying what works across ATB’s wealth management business and adjusting as needed for the seven geographic markets that PIC operates in. The role reports to the Vice-President, Wealth Strategy and Business Lines for ATB Wealth.
PIC is presently ten investment counselors (IC) based in Calgary, Edmonton and Red Deer with $4+ billion of client assets under administration. ATB Investment Management Inc. is the legal entity behind PIC and is registered with the Alberta Securities Commission. ATB’s investment counselors report directly into one of seven geographic markets in ATB Wealth that encompass all investment and private banking client-facing roles in the geographic market.
- Lead ATB’s IC community by maintaining and expanding the professional practice for investment counseling through 1:1 interactions and through IC group gatherings.
- Own key business line processes to run the PIC business line, grow the PIC business line, develop the PIC business plan based on ATB’s strategy and own the PIC plan execution.
- Connect the PIC business line to support and operational groups across ATB.
- Serve as people leader for the two ATB team members in the Associate Investment Counselor role and the Manager of PIC’s portfolio associate group.
- Collaborate with the managing directors of the seven geographic wealth markets in ATB Wealth on topics such as PIC key processes for client service, IC professional standards, core regulatory documentation such as the IPS, IC compensation, portfolio management and trading.
- Lead in an integrated fashion with fellow ATB Wealth business line leaders in Private Banking, Financial Advisory (IIROC), Wealth Solutions (wealth expertise and wealth products) and institutional portfolio management.
- Oversee and guide the centralized PIC portfolio models that an IC can utilize alongside other portfolio management tools to implement an asset mix.
- Promote the PIC offer inside and outside ATB including contributing to closing high net worth business including attending select prospect meetings to articulate the PIC offer.
You will find success based on your ability to:
- Build rapport with investment counselors.
- Apply management skills to oversee the PIC business line.
- Collaborate with support and operational groups for outcomes focused on a great client experience.
- Utilize critical thinking and a desire for learning.
- Lead ATB team members to get results, be a leader that people want to work for, develop others and to develop yourself as a leader.
The ideal candidate would possess:
- CFA charter
- Ten years of work experience in wealth management with at least two years of leadership experience
- Advanced knowledge of investment counseling for high net worth clients
- Intermediate knowledge of behavioural finance, financial planning, investment funds, portfolio management, private banking, tax, insurance, estates and trusts
- Knowledge of the strategic and operational rationale for key PIC technology and tools
- Strategic mindset to be able to independently craft a vivid and compelling vision for PIC paired with the communication skills to persuade ATB team members on this vision
- Ability to influence highly educated individual contributors with the humility that as a leader the MD PIC will likely have less expertise on certain subjects
- Potential to progress from senior leadership to the executive level at ATB
WORKING WITH ATB
So what can ATB Financial offer you? Imagine paying less for your everyday banking, mortgages, loans and investments. Throw in an excellent benefits and pension package, opportunities for career advancement, and a financial institution that’s leading the way in change – now you’re talking about a career with a company that allows you to grow.
ATB has been named one of Canada’s 50 Best Employers by Report on Business Magazine, one of the 50 Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute, and one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Top Employers for Young People and Alberta’s Top 50 Employers by Mediacorp Canada Inc. As well, Alberta Venture magazine named ATB Financial Alberta’s Most Respected Corporation in the area of corporate social responsibility.
HOW TO APPLY
Online applications are preferred. ATB Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the high number of resumes we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Advancement. Fun. Rewards… We get it.
To learn more visit atb.com.
Closing date: June 7, 2019