Investment Analyst (Manager Research)
As a member of the Investment Management Team, the candidate will conduct due diligence of investment managers and analyze financial market and economic conditions. Emphasis will be on interviewing current and prospective investment managers and contributing to team recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative criteria. The candidate will be expected to maintain a high awareness of current economic and market events.
- Due Diligence Research on all existing and potential retail and managed account investment solutions, with an emphasis on First Command’s fund family partners. Due Diligence emphasizes both quantitative and qualitative research in support of the investment managers selected for First Command’s portfolios. These activities include:
- Conducting in-depth conference calls or in-person meetings with fund and strategy portfolio management teams across multiple asset classes. Candidate must be willing to travel up to 25% in any given month.
- Discerning, documenting, and conveying the drivers for selected investment strategies, concentrating on identifying the pros and cons surrounding the people, philosophy, process, performance and price of each strategy.
- Identifying other potential risks (operational, administrative, etc.) to take into account when evaluating investment strategies.
- Assist with Portfolio Management: Assists with analysis of asset class performance and valuation.
- Researches investment characteristics and industry trends.
- Reporting: Provides ongoing information for investment committees.
- Operational Implementation: Assists in operational implementation of investment recommendations.
- Communication, Advisor Support, and Training: Assists with development of client/advisor communications and development of advisor training.
- Bachelor's degree required, with a preferred emphasis on finance, investments, accounting, or business.
- EX09: 4-6 Years of investment industry experience.
- EX10: 6-8 Years of investment industry experience.
- Experience conducting on-site manager due diligence.
- Military experience preferred.
- Candidate will be expected to have or pursue the CFA designation. Progress towards the CFA charter is a plus.
- FRM, CAIA, CFP, etc. or progress towards any of these designations is a plus.
- Candidate will be expected to become FINRA Series 7 and 66 licensed within 180 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must be able to meet deadlines.
- Delivers quality, detail-oriented analysis.
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office products, particularly in Excel (VBA coding knowledge a plus), PowerPoint, and Word.
- Familiarity with Morningstar Direct, Bloomberg, and/or Pershing’s NetX360 a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form.
- Able to present to live audiences a plus.
The information of this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, which may vary on the department or the assignment. The actual essential duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary by department, reporting structure and other business needs. No inference should be drawn that a specific job duty, responsibility or qualification is non-essential by its absence from this description.