Investment Specialist, US Equity
Primary Purpose of the Position
The primary purpose of the Investment Specialist role is to provide leverage to the investment organization by sharing T. Rowe Price’s investment insights within an assigned asset class primarily (but not exclusively) to US Intermediary (USI) prospects, clients, and consultants. As a member of the investment organization, and especially through partnering with Portfolio Specialists and Portfolio Analysts, this individual will maintain subject matter expertise within their asset class. They will be responsible for tying together various investment and market insights of their assigned asset class to develop content and share those perspectives with clients, allowing for more well-informed investment decisions and for more consultative conversations between the TRP sales team and the financial advisors. This role will spend the majority of the time (between 35-50%) traveling in the field and at conferences with the sales teams, supporting T. Rowe Price’s positioning in the market and ongoing sales and client retention efforts.
- Maintain broad knowledge of investment perspectives within assigned asset class by attending relevant investment meetings and leveraging insights from the investment staff, investment division head, and portfolio specialist/portfolio analyst team (Investment Specialist Group colleagues) in order to articulate a broader point of view of the asset class.
- Create content and proactively push out to the field sales teams on a frequent basis to position those teams to have informed discussions on asset class related news with their end clients. The intermediary distribution team will be the Investment Specialist’s primary internal client.
- Support the gathering and retention of assets under management by working closely with sales and client service professionals, with a focus on the Broker/Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) and Regional Bank distribution channels - though their work may extend to other audiences and channels as needed. The role also serves as an extension of the investment team representing their asset class in meetings with prospects, clients, and consultants. Meeting types may vary to include one-to-one meetings as well as larger group presentations of 50 or more.
- In partnership with distribution colleagues, stay up to date on T. Rowe Price’s broader investment offerings to consult on client needs and potentially match with a T. Rowe Price product offering. When necessary, handoff to Portfolio Analyst or Portfolio Specialist when additional depth is required on any given strategy.
- A heavy travel schedule will exist, one can expect 35-50% of their time on the road supporting our distribution partners.
- Provide education to internal staff in one-on-one or group settings as appropriate.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in the investment management industry. Relevant experience can include investment research, portfolio analysis, investment consulting, or institutional client service.
- MBA and/or CFA highly desired (or highly tenured investment individual).
- Must be willing to travel
- Must have a passion for the investment business with a deep understanding of investment concepts and have a strong working knowledge of investment strategies and tactics.
- Relevant asset-class experience desired.
- Demonstrated track record of success in effectively communicating complex concepts to a wide variety of audiences.
- Exceptional relationship management skills with ability to interact well with investment professionals (internal and external), sales and client service professionals, and institutional clients and consultants.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well within a collegial, but fast-paced and unstructured environment.
- Highly motivated and a self-starter who possess a high level of personal integrity and a passion for achieving competitive results.
- Leadership skills
- Has demonstrated leadership capabilities managing strategy/franchise/or product group.
- Client facing experience