Consultant - Defined Contribution
Callan was founded as an employee-owned investment consulting firm in 1973. Ever since, we have empowered institutional clients with creative, customized investment solutions backed by proprietary research, exclusive data, and ongoing education. Today, Callan advises on more than $2 trillion in total fund sponsor assets, which makes it among the largest independently owned investment consulting firms in the U.S. We use a client-focused consulting model to serve pension and defined contribution plan sponsors, endowments, foundations, independent investment advisers, investment managers, and other asset owners. Callan has six offices throughout the U.S.
Further information regarding Callan can be found on our website at www.callan.com.
About the Position
Our Defined Contribution (“DC”) practice provides thought leadership and strategic direction for our plan sponsor clients. This group supports Callan's clients and consultants on DC projects and issues. It also provides formal testimony and commentary on DC topics to regulators.
We have the capacity to guide plan sponsor clients through all phases of the DC plan management process. Our services include plan review and fee analysis, recordkeeper searches, investment structure evaluation, manager/fund evaluation and monitoring, advice/managed account provider searches, self-directed brokerage account reviews, participant communication assessments, and much more. We are looking to hire a Defined Contribution Consultant who will both lead and provide support and analysis for these types of services, particularly recordkeeper searches and fee analysis. This position will be working out of one of our five regional offices in Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, Portland, OR, or Summit, NJ.
- Conduct DC plan recordkeeper searches, in both a support and lead capacity
- Conduct other DC-related provider searches (e.g., managed account provider, self-directed window provider, company stock fiduciary, financial wellness services, etc.)
- Analyze the administrative fees and services for DC plans
- Analyze fees for DC investment options
- Develop and maintain relationships with the major DC recordkeeper firms
- Support and present at educational sessions offered to clients
- Research DC-focused topics for Callan clients and consultants
- Keep up-to-date on the general DC marketplace and recordkeeper/administration environment
- Represent Callan’s defined contribution capabilities with clients
- Support the development of new DC business through presentations and meetings
Candidates should have the following skills:
- Familiarity and experience with defined contribution plan structure, administration, compliance topics, and investments
- While not a requirement, knowledge and experience with defined benefit plans and nonqualified plans (SERP and/or defined contribution) are a plus
- Strong familiarity with DC recordkeeping landscape
- Investment knowledge and background preferred
- Familiarity and comfort with conducting fee analysis and recordkeeper searches
- Strong combination of presentation skills and research/analytical skills
- Some client facing experience, and comfort with articulating information about defined contribution services
- High level of attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Must work independently and as part of a close team
- Proactive, resourceful, and results-oriented
- Willing to travel a moderate amount
- Computer and technical skills with strong knowledge with Microsoft Windows and programs (primarily MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the Defined Contribution space or related field
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Graduate Degree preferred
A competitive compensation package is offered, including base salary and annual bonus. Long term successful professionals may become equity partners in the firm. The firm also offers a generous benefits package.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the DC Consulting Group position.
Callan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.