Fixed Income Portfolio Manager
PFM is a national leader in providing independent financial advice as well as investment advisory, management consulting, and strategic planning services to local, state, and regional government and non-profit clients. We currently employ more than 600 professionals in 41 locations across the country.
PFM’s investment management arm, PFM Asset Management LLC (“PFMAM”) is currently seeking an experienced financial professional to work with our growing team in Harrisburg, PA. This position reports to the Managing Director of fixed income portfolio management.
The Portfolio Manager will be an integral part of a portfolio management team which manages short duration, taxable fixed income assets of $40 billion for public sector clients. The Portfolio Manager will participate with other members of the team in developing trading desk strategy, and will be responsible for implementing that strategy by managing both pool and individual portfolios. This role will be part of a larger investment team of over 15 individuals who manage $85 billion of fixed income assets across the yield curve. Strong interpersonal skills and collaborative work ethic are essential.
This position will be based in our Harrisburg, PA office, with minimal or no travel expected.
- Initially assist in the management of fixed-income investment portfolios and then manage portfolios for PFM's public sector clients as the primary client portfolio manager for the assigned portfolios.
- Canvass the market for appropriate security offerings, negotiate prices with brokers, execute and process buy and sell transactions.
- Execute trades within the trading desk strategy and within the investment guidelines for each individual portfolio.
- Become an expert in the assigned money market investment sector (e.g. commercial paper, corporate notes, U.S. Treasuries, federal agencies).
- Develop a well-informed opinion on the investment market using quantitative and qualitative inputs. Convey these opinions to the trading desk.
- Communicate information, offerings and trends in the assigned market sectors to other members of the team; develop recommendations in assigned product areas to the portfolio team.
- Deliver presentations on the assigned funds’ performance and current investment strategy to internal and external audiences in an in-depth and objective manner.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Assist in the smooth operation of the Trading Room, including accurate communication with brokers, the internal investment services group and the portfolio strategies group.
- Complete assignments with a high degree of accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Assist with other projects as deemed appropriate.
- A college degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field is required
- 5 years of fixed income portfolio management or trading experience
- Chartered Financial Analyst charterholder or candidacy
- Detail-oriented, analytical and inquisitive
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Financial management acumen and technical skills
- Experience with Bloomberg, portfolio management systems and various fixed income trading platforms
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word)
- Demonstrate excellent business acumen
- Demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to interface regularly with clients and colleagues at all levels of the organization
- Strong organizational skills, deadline management, and time management skills
- Demonstrate superior ethics and sound judgment at all times
Compensation includes a competitive base salary, bonus eligibility, and comprehensive benefits package. PFM also offers the option for participation in profit sharing and 401K plans.
PFM is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
PFM is an equal opportunity employer (EOE, M/F/D/V) and maintains a drug-free work environment.