Senior Consultant - San Francisco
Verus is in search of an experienced investment consultant who is a leader, mentor, and developer of talent to join our downtown San Francisco office.
Candidates should be collaborative and customer focused with deep experience consulting to institutional investment boards and managing teams. Primary responsibilities include client service, contributing to the firm’s growth through new business development, and managing members of the consulting staff.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of documentable leadership, evidence of entrepreneurial capabilities, demonstratable success in business development in which he or she personally championed the development of collaborative execution strategies, clear proficiency at building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization, and the ability to leverage experience across multiple institutional plan sponsor sectors.
- Develop and implement strategies to execute and lead client consulting assignments by providing a full spectrum of investment consulting services.
- Bring together exceptional intellectual capital, effective planning, and a highly collaborative style to creatively address a wide range of investment issues for institutional clients.
- Provide institutional clients with well-developed investment solutions by understanding their funding needs, risk tolerance and history.
- Prepare and present complex materials and communicate those materials at all levels of the organization, meeting with clients at least quarterly to present historical performance, discuss firm generated research, and drive the investment process in accordance with the fund sponsor’s fiduciary duty.
- Coordinate with internal staff to deliver other services including asset allocation studies, risk-budgeting analysis, asset/liability studies, manager selection, and investment policy development.
- Identify and convert new business opportunities.
- Plan at the strategic and presentation level, organizing the winning team for pursuits and assuring effective alignment of resources.
- Apply knowledge of competitor positions to close business opportunities.
- Maintain and enhance industry presence through networking and public speaking.
- Lead an effective team
- Apply knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals.
- Ensure the team pursues excellence in all aspects of the practice.
- Encourage flexibility, moving easily from leader to doer.
- Drive engagement by creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objective.
- Provide direction, delegate and remove obstacles to get work done.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant investment experience with institutional clients as a consultant or senior member of an investment team
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of consulting professionals
- Strong experience with multiple asset categories including alternatives
- Preference for MBA and/or CFA designation, other relevant industry designations, such as CAIA or FRM, will be viewed favorably
- Established relationships with a network of colleagues in the broader investment community
- Thought leadership demonstrated through white papers and public speaking
- Proficiency with Microsoft office suite including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
Verus is an independent, employee-owned, provider of non-discretionary consulting and discretionary management services to a wide variety of institutional investors, including endowments and foundations, corporate defined benefit and defined contribution plans, public pension plans, and multi-employer trusts. We are headquartered in Seattle, with additional offices in Los Angeles & San Francisco.
Our clients rely on us for the thoughtfulness of our investment research and personalized approach to their portfolios. Through independent, impartial advice and investment expertise, our professionals strive to be the driving force that empowers clients to achieve their enterprise objectives. We are looking for talented professionals who embody our firm values of diligence, professionalism, expertise, client service, and collaboration.
Our boutique culture allows opportunities for career development and cross-departmental collaboration. On top of strengthening growth and partnerships in the work environment, Verus provides a competitive benefits package, and promotes healthy living through work/life quality and flexibility.