Associate Equity Research Analyst
Assists senior equity analysts researching, modeling, analyzing and communicating investments in assigned companies and sector(s). Requires strong fundamental research skills and a passion for stock picking across growth and value stocks and across capitalization ranges. Despite being an early career position, quickly develop a sophisticated level of expertise in assigned industries. Identify sources, sustainability, follow and understand drivers of competitive position of companies and understand growth drivers, total addressable markets and returns on invested capital for companies within assigned industries. Critically assess the strategies of company management and the implications for stock price performance. Understand the impact of external forces on assigned industries – regulation, macroeconomic activity, labor, technological change, etc. Recognize sector specific financial statement reporting issues and note valuations approaches and opportunity via mis-valuation. Be able to clearly communicate conclusions to senior analysts and portfolio managers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Works under direct supervision of senior analysts, projecting company financial statements, returns on invested capital, growth rates and opportunity, earnings volatility, capital requirements and apply valuation techniques. Craft and manage sector and industry coverage lists gathering relevant company operating, financial and valuation metrics. Monitor assigned companies, constantly reassessing investment merits, and demonstrate this preparedness with the ability and confidence to translate real-time developments into actionable recommendations with senior analysts. Have a long-term investment philosophy, whilst producing new, actionable ideas.
- Develop analytical frameworks designed to systematically identify risks and opportunities that inspire confidence in senior analysts and portfolio managers. Frameworks capture the trade-off between valuation and operating performance and identify catalysts for value recognition and out-performance. Possess capacity to be focused, but flexible enough to work with different philosophical and communication styles among senior analysts and portfolio manager teams.
- Initiate and conduct proprietary research relating to investment suitability for multiple mandates by developing a network of contacts within industry in addition to Wall Street analysts, such as: expert networks, private company competitors, consultants, suppliers, customers, trade journals, reporters, retired employees, etc. Travel to companies, conferences and industry events, is a necessary and encouraged aspect of the research effort. Find and employ unique data sources.
- Support all relevant communications efforts of partner senior analysts, interacting with other analysts and portfolio managers as required and requested. Be a dedicated contributor of company and industry-level intelligence through the equity team via both formal presentations and ongoing constructive dialogue.
- Up to 2 years of buy or sell side equity research experience.
- In addition to current buy or sell side experience, previous experience in financial analysis, corporate development or a technical role will be considered part of overall experience.
- Experience and grounding in fundamental equity analysis including proprietary modeling in a process driven environment.
- A deep understanding of financial markets (stocks, bonds, etc.), current economic events and trends and their interrelationship.
- Understanding of risk management as it relates to managing equity portfolios.
- Personal characteristics such as curiosity, creativity, dependability, self-motivation, discipline, reason, team-focus, initiative, and the ability to take responsibility for her/his decisions and impact on portfolios. The capacity to admit error and learn from mistakes.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships, both internally and externally, and to communicate both logically and persuasively.
- Undergraduate degree is required; an MBA and/or CFA are strongly preferred.
- Mathematics, data science, programming (R, Python, MATLAB, Tableau) background a plus.
Attributes for success
- Assisting senior analysts in stock selection decisions that consistently add value versus benchmarks and quantitative models.
- Having a passion for excellence. An ability to admit mistakes, learn, and improve to avoid errors in the future. A willingness to focus and commit to be the best.
- A facility to communicate concisely an assessment of critical variables that will determine a company’s success or failure and a desire to engage in critical debate, embracing alternative viewpoints and constructive criticism.
- Comfortable with thinking creatively – confident enough to develop, propose and defend non-consensus viewpoints. Be dedicated and proprietary.
- Provide feedback to senior analysts and portfolio teams on ways to improve process. Looking for a great teammate.
- Use of all available technological resources to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
You will report to assigned senior equity analysts and have significant interaction with large-, mid- and small-cap portfolio manager teams across growth, core and value styles, as well as, the director of equity research, other equity analysts, and risk management team.
You don’t need to be Christian to join our team. You do need the passion to guide our members on their Wise With Money Journey, equipping them to live more content, confident and generous lives. Thrivent strives to provide an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, sex, genetic information, or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.