Fixed Income Risk Manager
The aim of the role is to help ensure fund risk profiles reflect client expectations and to support the portfolio managers in continuously improving the risk / return profile delivered to investors. This will include but not limited to: working closely with relevant portfolio managers, ownership of the identification of visible and hidden risks in the portfolios covered, ownership of escalation and resolution of issues when identified, drive forward the development of analytics and/or automation of existing analytics on the desk, tying together market trends/environment with portfolio performance and positioning, etc. You will also help portfolio managers analyze return attribution to quantify and understand drivers of performance.
There is a requirement to raise concerns and highlight the levels/decomposition of risk to senior management, including the Head of Investment Risk and the Head of Fixed Income. The nature of the role demands a quantitative mindset, programming ability and good knowledge of derivatives.
A strong understanding of fixed income portfolio risk and risk systems as well as their strengths and weaknesses will be a significant advantage. You will possess good communication/interpersonal skills, a good understanding of risk models and different investment processes combined with self-sufficiency and initiative.
Area of Control
Your core duties fall within the remit of the Investment Risk department, but you will be working closely with members of the Fixed Income department, which has coverage across the full range of fixed income asset classes, including government debt, secured assets, corporate debt and derivative instruments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Use a variety of risk models and expert judgement based on market conditions to assess the risks of Fixed Income portfolios and engage with Portfolio Managers to help improve risk adjusted returns and manage downside risk.
- Be responsible for ensuring the creation / analysis of regular risk attribution reports for assigned funds for use by Portfolio Managers, Global Head of Investment Risk, Head of Fixed Income, Global CIO and other interested users of the data such as senior management, marketing, and compliance
- Work with the Senior Portfolio Risk Manager in covering all aspects of investment risk, performance and other relevant metrics to help manage the portfolio in the client’s best interest
- Partner with investment teams on risk budgeting, portfolio construction and portfolio optimisation strategies.
- Build and be a great partner between the Risk team and other business support teams within Janus Henderson.
- Support implementation and development of quantitative solutions and external systems for analytics and risk management.
- Help build out infrastructure and process for dissemination of data via reporting, dashboards, etc
- Enhance the infrastructure supporting the generation of risk reports across different asset classes.
- Routinely engage with IT to prioritise development, ensuring consistency in approach and design across the Front Office
- Present to clients and prospects.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned
- May supervise more junior team members in future as capabilities grow
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Degree educated in a relevant subject, e.g. Quantitative Finance, Statistics.
- Minimum of five years risk management experience with a Fixed Income focus
- Extensive knowledge of risk and risk analytics
- CFA, FRM or similar, or progress toward completion preferred.
- Knowledge of data science applications
- Some coding skills, e.g. Python, MATLAB, SQL
- Extensive knowledge of fixed income and derivatives instruments
- Deep curiosity about global financial markets
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with multiple stakeholders
- Highly analytical
- Attention to detail