Senior Investment Analyst - Public Markets
GuideStone is a diverse financial services organization that services more than 200,000 clients nationwide in the faith-based marketplace. We offer retirement, insurance, investment management, property and casualty coverage, and executive planning products and services to the Southern Baptist and wider evangelical Christian community. GuideStone sponsors the nation’s largest Christian-screened registered mutual fund family and is in Dallas, Texas. We are an innovative organization that invests in the spiritual, relational, financial, physical and professional development of our employees. We have a culture that values excellence, teamwork, humility, integrity, compassion and stewardship. We offer employees a generous benefits package, flexible work schedules, the opportunity to be involved in community outreach and tuition re-imbursement.
The Senior Investment Analyst - Public Markets position works directly with other Investment Analysts and Portfolio Manager(s) to provide in-depth research to support the investment philosophy/process of GuideStone Capital Management (GSCM) related to the management of GuideStone Funds (comprised of 15 Select Funds, four target risk funds and five target date funds) and other public market strategies. Research efforts, directed at sub-adviser research and fund construction, are supporting the overall objectives of generating returns on investments above the benchmark and peers.
This senior level position is the highest level of investment analyst and is expected to be very proficient in all research aspects related to areas of assignment. This position will also be expected to train/develop Investment Analyst(s) and Associate Investment Analyst(s). This position is considered a “career position” or possibly an opportunity to become a Portfolio Manager.
The essential duties and responsibilities are:
GSCM, in general, utilizes a multi-manager approach in the management of the Select Funds. The Select Funds are used as the “building blocks” for the target risk funds (the “Asset Allocation Funds”) and target date funds (the “MyDestination Funds”).
- Conduct thorough, extensive and independent due diligence, both qualitative and quantitative, related to sub-adviser identification, evaluation and selection across areas of assignment.
- Provide research and recommendations regarding a Select Fund’s structure (as assigned), including the addition or elimination of sub-advisers.
- Calculate and maintain sub-adviser rankings (within areas assigned) within proprietary ranking system.
- Ability to conduct thorough sub-adviser due diligence meetings, including on-site meetings at sub-adviser offices.
- Maintain very advanced skills on all analytical tools to support the research and portfolio construction processes.
- Identify capital market information and all other factors that influence sub-adviser and fund performance.
- Establish and maintain sub-adviser guidelines.
- Maintain working relationship with each sub-adviser under assignment for the purpose of facilitating ongoing portfolio management, including routine portfolio management items, information requests, reporting, meeting coordination, etc.
- Have knowledge of cash flow and liquidity status of each Select Fund as assigned.
- Lead efforts related to sub-adviser transitions.
- Fully understand ranking methodologies of peer universe providers.
- Working with compliance officers to be knowledgeable and to understand issues regarding the adherence to the investment strategies and stated policies.
- Train and develop other analysts on the team.
- Bachelors Degree, preferred.
- Masters Degree, preferred.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or pursuing CFA, preferred.
- Solid PC skills including spreadsheet and internet capabilities.
- Experience with FactSet, Morningstar Direct, Zephyr, and/or eVestment, preferred.
- At least 5 years in the investment industry or some related industry.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to sub-advisers, internal staff and third party service providers.
- Thorough understanding of various asset classes, investment vehicles, strategies and terminology.
- Understanding of quantitative evaluation methods and statistical measures necessary for thorough investment analysis.
- Understanding of investment philosophies and processes.
- Must have complete confidentiality regarding GuideStone business matters.