Senior Investment Analyst - Private Markets
The Senior Investment Analyst - Private Markets leads the research and due diligence activities for all private market investments on behalf of GuideStone Financial Resources (GSFR) and (GuideStone Investment Services) (GSIS) as directed by the Senior Portfolio Manager and to coordinate certain investment management related functions for the purpose of maintaining competitive returns on investments. In addition to senior analyst responsibilities related to various nontraditional investments, this position will also conduct the asset allocation analytics for client portfolios as assigned and serve as a portfolio management representative to clients as assigned.
This senior level position is the highest level of investment analyst and is expected to be very proficient in all research aspects related to areas of assignment. This individual must have a robust knowledge of the private market landscape, including key factors influencing private markets, important considerations for due diligence and have a robust understanding of many institutional funds in the marketplace across both equity and debt investment opportunities. The ideal candidate will also have a good working knowledge of and experience with investing in hedge funds.
This position will also be expected to train/develop Investment Analyst(s) and Associate Investment Analyst(s). This position is considered a “career position” or possibly provides an opportunity to become a Portfolio Manager.
The essential duties and responsibilities are:
- Lead investment and manager research in the assigned areas of private markets. Lead manager/fund sourcing efforts for private market investments as assigned. Maintain a robust pipeline of private market investment managers and funds. Assist in the development of the hedge fund pipeline.
- Identify dislocations and investment opportunities across all private markets on a global basis. Articulate such opportunities to Senior Portfolio Manager.
- Work closely with the investment consultant – alternatives to ensure timely and accurate data is being received and calculated for all private market managers and funds.
- Maintain very advanced skills on all analytical tools and reporting applications to support the investment management and research process.
- Develop market information, analysis and observations concerning factors influencing performance of managers/funds and client accounts.
- Maintain working relationship with each manager and fund under assignment for the purpose of facilitating ongoing portfolio management, including routine portfolio management items, information request, reporting, meeting coordination, etc.
- Have intimate knowledge and actively involved in the day-to-day management of the client accounts, including objectives, policies, guidelines, asset allocation, liquidity and underlying strategies.
- Having intimate knowledge of clients’ portfolios and objectives with the purpose of making appropriate recommendations to relevant internal committees for all private market investments as assigned.
- Serve as the portfolio management representative for client accounts as assigned; present on the portfolio and performance to clients and work with GuideStone Investment Services to ensure proper management of client accounts.
- Initial and ongoing ranking of all managers (existing and pipeline) within established, proprietary manager ranking system.
- Responsible for working closely with Senior Portfolio Manager to evaluate the appropriateness of investment management firms and strategies in relation to portfolio construction needs and should include the consideration of all factors related to both the attractiveness and timeliness of strategies.
- Ensure that all research meeting notes are properly documented in a standardized form and in a timely manner.
- Organize investment manager due diligence records in a manner that are easily and efficiently accessible by other members of the portfolio management team, including both internal manager call notes, opinion documents, recommendation memos and research from external sources.
- Design and produce internal reporting and analysis of activities and results across all investment strategies and funds to the level necessary to meet the needs of management in evaluating the effectiveness of the investment program.
- Oversee the liquidity management efforts for private markets, including capital calls and distributions.
- Oversee all cash flow projections of all private market investments to assist the portfolio manager with asset allocation decisions.
- Establish and maintain manager mandates/guidelines (as applicable).
- Work with the compliance officers to be knowledgeable and to understand issues regarding the adherence to the investment strategies and stated policies.
- Other duties may be assigned including the training of other analysts
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Masters Degree, preferred.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), preferred.
- Chartered Alternative Analyst (CAIA), preferred.
- Solid PC skills including spreadsheet and internet capabilities.
- At least 7 years in the investment industry.
- At least 5 years with direct private market experience.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to investment managers, internal staff, investment consultants, and third-party vendors.
- Ability to conduct independent research and develop well thought-out conclusions/recommendations.
- Strong understanding of private markets and various investment vehicles, strategies and terminology.
- Utilization of and strong understanding of quantitative evaluation methods and statistical measures necessary for thorough investment analysis.
- Strong understanding of investment philosophies and processes.