Trading Operations Associate
Founded in 1994, Symphony Asset Management is a diversified investment manager headquartered in San Francisco, California. Symphony Asset Management applies a team-based, event-focused approach to rigorous fundamental research, valuation and risk analysis across the corporate capital structure, identifying and translating relative value into desired risk/reward outcomes for our clients. Our investment strategies include an integrated platform of hedge funds, separately managed accounts and sub-advised mutual funds in long-only/long short strategies and structured products with a focus on credit instruments.
As a subsidiary of Nuveen, a TIAA company, our joint mission is to work in partnership with our clients to create outcome-focused solutions to help them secure their financial future. Nuveen is one of the largest global asset managers with specialist knowledge across a wide array of asset classes, including fixed income, equities and alternatives. Nuveen is driven not only by the independent investment processes across the firm, but also the insights, risk management, analytics and other tools and resources a truly world-class platform provides. For more information about the firm please visit our website at www.symphonyasset.com.
As a Trade Operations Associate you will have the opportunity to work with the Portfolio Management team to ensure trade settlements along with other critical middle-office and investment operations functions such as, securities pricing, cash and account reconciliations and corporate actions for credit instruments, fixed income, and equity products.
- Ensure equity and fixed income trade allocations are accurate and settled within all necessary systems and reconciled daily across multiple strategies
- Review and analyze various system reports to identify and resolve trade discrepancies proactively and independently with custodians within settlement timelines
- Control data within various systems to ensure integrity to minimize operational risk
- Review corporate actions and proxy notices for required processing
- Outline corporate action alternatives and recommend a course of action for Portfolio Managers review
- Reconcile cash and security positions daily and coordinate supporting documentation
- Interpret and evaluate reconciliation results and resolve discrepancies
- Provide account cash balance to the Portfolio Management team on a daily basis
- Maintain and build on the relationships with outside vendors
- Maintain accounting and portfolio management databases including asset masters, trades, prices, dividends, debt registration and foreign currency exchange rates
- Maintain settlement documentation
- Review data imports from external sources for accuracy
- Reconcile data within internal systems to custodian records and resolve discrepancies
- Support the Accounting team and Administrators on all trade related discrepancies
- Liaise between the Portfolio Management team and Technology regarding system enhancements and assist in troubleshooting technology issues
- Bachelor’s degree completed upon hire, preferably in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or Economics
- Prior internship or work experience with a financial services firm focused on capital markets required
- Prior experience in trade settlements, securities pricing, reconciliations/accounting and/or corporate actions preferred
- Knowledge of financial markets and basic economic concepts
- Knowledge of equities, bonds, and senior loans
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate to various audiences in a faced-paced environment
- Basic understating of securities legal documentation
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong work ethic and a professional demeanor
- Ability to prioritize duties based on competing initiatives
- Advanced MS Microsoft Excel skills
- Experience levering Wall Street Office, Advent Geneva, or Bloomberg
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.