Senior Research Analyst
Senior Research Analyst
Merriman is searching for an exceptional person to join our Research team as a Senior Research Analyst. The person filling this position will participate in guiding our core investment programs including research, due diligence, portfolio management, and education of our advisors, clients, and prospects. We are highly selective in choosing our team members and seeking a unique individual who has a driving passion for continuously improving our investment approach, has outstanding research skills and truly enjoys engaging with our advisors and clients to provide extraordinary experiences. We are a well-established and growing wealth management firm that needs people who will grow with us, personally and professionally.
As a Sr. Research Analyst, your primary role will be to work within the Research team to manage the firm’s investment programs to deliver the best risk adjusted returns possible for clients. You will:
- Independently conduct in-depth research including quantitatively evaluating asset classes, asset allocation and portfolio composition
- Proactively evaluate and improve existing programs
- Perform due diligence on investment products and managers
- Present your findings to our Investment Committee and seek approval for changes
You will work closely with our advisors to:
- Respond to client questions and speak to clients
- Customize core investment offerings for clients’ unique financial situations including unrealized gains and external investment accounts
- Perform custom analyses for specific client scenarios
- Collaborate on researching and quantitative modeling of in-depth financial planning topics
- Create communication materials on our investment programs, capital markets, and investing including client letters, articles, and blog posts
- Educate them about our investment programs
You will work in partnership with our Trading and Operations team to develop and execute processes to ensure proper implementation of portfolios and tax management strategies:
- Update existing models, securities lists, software, and procedures when faced with changes
- Use models to determine what securities to buy/sell and generate trade instructions
We opened our doors in 1983 and quickly learned that wealth management is not just about managing money. It’s about helping people the way we would want to be helped.
Today we manage approximately $2.5 billion in investments in three locations around the Pacific Northwest, giving ongoing advice to thousands of clients across the country. We invest our clients’ assets with a long-term perspective and generally subscribe to an efficient markets approach. We believe that broad diversification and prudent asset allocation are critical to helping reduce risk and increasing the consistency of realized returns. We have a strong empirical bent and are always seeking unique insights to help us better position client portfolios.
First and foremost, we are seeking a candidate with strong quantitative analysis skills, someone who is an outstanding critical thinker, and a great team player and collaborator. A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, or Physical Science is required.
The ideal candidate would have the following attributes:
- 5+ years of experience in investments, economics, or quantitative field such as engineering
- Demonstrated ability to perform research activities
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills and statistical knowledge
- Detail oriented
- Strong interest in financial markets and the desire to continuously learn and grow
- Demonstrated success working in small and large team environments
- Ability to balance and prioritize among multiple projects
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to debate and defend conclusions based on merit, recognizing there may be differing points of view
- Highly self-motivated and intellectually curious
- Superior Microsoft Excel skills and at least intermediate skills in Microsoft Word and Powerpoint. Familiarity with financial planning and portfolio management software.
The job is located in Seattle, Washington. Normal hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. You may be asked to occasionally attend a client event outside of normal business hours.
This position works in a high rise office environment. The position requires sitting, standing and mobility throughout the office. Ability to use common office products (phone, fax, PC and related software) is necessary to perform this job. The ability to communicate clearly and professionally is vital.
We offer a team-based, safe, positive work environment where employees are encouraged to grow into new responsibilities and to accept new challenges. Our pay is competitive, and our benefits include a co-funded retirement plan, medical coverage and much more.
As a result of the environment we strive to create for our staff, our employee turnover is very low. In the interest of our employee’s health, we are a non-smoking firm.
To apply, please visit our website at www.merriman.com/jobs where you will be prompted to complete our online application process.
We look forward to hearing from you.