ESG Research Analyst - Materials Sector
By joining Eaton Vance, you’ll become part of a company that has one of the best employee retention rates in the financial services industry. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, and tremendous opportunities for growth and development. If you do not see a position that fits your career objectives, please return to this site in the future as our hiring needs will change. We look forward to your becoming a part of our continued success!
Calvert Research and Management is a recognized leader in responsible investing. Our mission is to deliver superior long-term performance to our clients and to enable them to achieve positive impact.
We are seeking an ESG Research Analyst who is passionate about the impact company behavior has on society, the environment and on corporate performance and has experience integrating ESG considerations in the investment process. An ideal ESG Research Analyst will bring subject matter expertise on governance topics and environmental and social issues, along with an understanding of how these issues can impact an investment thesis. We are particularly interested in candidates with background/interest in the materials sector. S/he will be able to communicate views clearly, will be credible with company management teams as well as clients, will enjoy acting as an individual contributor within a highly collaborative investment culture, and will thrive by building strong relationships with colleagues.
- Build and maintain models which reflect our materiality matrix for the purpose of differentiating companies and securities based on their ESG performance, identifying ESG key performance indicators that have proven to be most impactful on stock prices and integrate into research framework
- Use information from data vendors and our proprietary research to analyze, score, rate and rank companies on their ESG performance
- Seek and evaluate sources of information regarding the environmental, social and governance policies and performance of corporations and other issuers of securities
- Develop expertise within the materials sector and relevant peer groups of companies
- Contribute to our team’s proprietary knowledge of ESG factors and materiality
- Use the information that is an output of our models to identify opportunities to engage directly with issuers of securities in order to improve their ESG performance and enhance our returns on the security
- Effectively communicate Calvert’s ESG research framework within the Eaton Vance organization, to clients, and broader investment community
- Assist in creating a productive, collaborative and innovative team culture, including facilitating the team’s professional development
- Contribute to and publish original research
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree would be a plus) in Accounting, Finance, Business or related fields
- Some prior experience in capital markets and investment topics, either through work experience or educational background
- The ability to work effectively in a thoughtful, collaborative team environment
- Strong communication skills, being able to interface effectively with bright quantitative colleagues as well as non-technical audiences
- Passion for aligning financial returns with societal impact
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Advanced MS Office (Word/PowerPoint/Excel) skills
- Experience with financial tools and databases (e.g., Bloomberg, FactSet, MSCI)
The ideal candidate would additionally bring some of the following:
- A graduate degree in a quantitative discipline, either in economics or (quantitative) finance, or in the natural sciences or engineering
- A strong foundation in applied empirical analysis (experimental work in natural sciences, statistics, econometrics, data science) and facility with manipulating numbers, including programming skills
- CFA charterholder, or progress toward such certification
About Calvert Research and Management
Calvert Research and Management is a leader in Responsible Investing, with approximately $14.0 billion of mutual fund and separate account assets under management as of January 31, 2018. The company traces its roots to Calvert Investments, which in 1982 launched the first mutual fund to avoid investment in companies doing business in apartheid-era South Africa. Today, the Calvert Funds are one of the largest and most diversified families of responsibly invested mutual funds, encompassing actively and passively managed U.S. and international equity, fixed and floating-rate income, and multi-asset strategies. Calvert Research and Management is a wholly owned subsidiary of Eaton Vance. For more information, visit calvert.com.
This policy applies to Eaton Vance Corp. and all subsidiary companies (the “Company”).
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment. It does not discriminate against applicants or employees with respect to any terms or conditions of employment on account of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy, parenthood, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition including genetic characteristics, marital status, citizenship status, military service, gender, gender identity, registered domestic partner status, domestic violence victim status, status with regard to public assistance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Eaton Vance also prohibits discrimination based on the perception that a person has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company, and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers. All employment decisions shall be consistent with the principles of equal employment opportunity.