Director, Curriculum Projects
The Curriculum & Learning Experience department is responsible for the design and development of curriculum and ancillary study tools for all certification and certificate programs offered by CFA Institute. These certification and certificate programs are self-study, distance learning programs that seek to provide world-class educational content while emphasizing the highest ethical and professional standards.
The Director, Curriculum Projects works collaboratively with other curriculum directors to plan and direct the development of new, and the revision of existing, curriculum readings and study products for the CFA, CIPM, and Investment Foundations programs. The emphasis of activities may vary among individual curriculum directors, and all members of the team are expected to contribute in all phases of planning and development of curriculum study content, requiring an in-depth knowledge of the investment management process and regular interactions with senior industry practitioners. The Director also contributes to intradepartmental and interdepartmental projects, including support of regional education efforts.
The position may be headquartered in Charlottesville, VA, or New York, NY. The Director reports to the Director, Learning Content Design and Development.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Plan and direct the development of assigned new CFA Institute curriculum readings and study products
- Write the Reading Planning Document, which includes the Learning Outcome Statements (LOS) and translate technical concepts into self-study, distance learning materials.
- Select, manage, and evaluate authors and reviewers.
- Provide guidance to authors on the content, exposition, and organization of curriculum projects.
- Manage the flow of drafts and reviews according to schedule, critically assessing work products as they develop with respect to CFA Institute needs and standards.
- Serve a senior editorial and quality control role, which can involve writing or rewriting curriculum content, to ensure that the content being developed meets CFA Institute needs and standards.
- Support the development of practice questions and study tools by providing guidance to authors on constructing appropriate examples and in-text questions that support the LOS.
- Experience with instructional design and the development of graduate level courses and/or programs in a distance learning environment is highly desirable.
- Contribute to the work of the Curriculum & Learning Experience Team.
- Manage the revision of assigned existing CFA Institute curriculum readings and study products.
- Develop specific plans for the restructuring and evolution of topic coverage within and among readings.
- Develop and sustain investment industry contacts.
- Participate in the planning of Practice Intensive sessions and facilitate some of these sessions.
- Assist with work related to the Learning Ecosystem including collaborating with authors to develop new types of material to support the online learning process.
Represent the Curriculum & Learning Experience department, Credentialing strategic function, or CFA Institute as necessary.
- Contribute to intradepartmental and interdepartmental curriculum-related and/or lifelong learning related projects
- Communicate and collaborate with other Credentialing departments, particularly the Practice Analysis and Exam Development teams as well as the CFA, CIPM and Investment Foundations teams.
- Support Practice Analysis.
- Communicate and collaborate with the regional offices and support regional education efforts.
- Represent CFA Institute at conferences and other events.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience either as an investment industry practitioner or as an educator at the university level with demonstrable achievements.
- Teaching and/or professional training experience desirable. Experience delivering material in a distance learning framework is particularly desirable.
- CFA designation required.
- Master’s degree with strong quantitative coursework, preferably with an emphasis in finance and investments; PhD desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of the investment management process with an appreciation of practitioner interests and concerns.
- Familiarity with Financial Reporting Standards and financial modeling is particularly desirable.
- Excellent writing and editorial skills with a proven ability to communicate in a clear and concise fashion.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including a professional and diplomatic demeanor.
- Ability to interact confidently with both the practitioner and academic communities.
- Ability to objectively evaluate and dispassionately direct the work of senior industry practitioners and academics.
- Very high level of project and time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines in a high-stakes environment.
- Flexibility in competently juggling priorities and adjusting to change.
- Superior command of subjects in the CFA Institute Candidate Bodies of Knowledge (CBOK).
- Proven ability to lead high performing teams is particularly desirable.
- Publications desirable.
- Experience as a CFA Institute volunteer is desirable.
- Energy to put in the hours of concentrated work necessary to achieve goals while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Must travel comfortably.
- Domestic and international travel required; up to 10 percent of the time.
This job description is a summary of job requirements and duties and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all areas of responsibility.