Global Macro Strategist
The Global Macro Strategist provides investment insight and opinion on a broad range of asset allocation decisions for the firm. He/She is responsible for helping shape the firm’s longer-run investment opinions (6+ month horizon), as well as provide timely tactical positioning advise (2-8 week horizon).
Areas of coverage are expected to be U.S. and international equity markets, rates, foreign exchange, and commodities. This person will work closely and directly with the Head of Investments to help set the firm’s macro viewpoints, develop models, and communicate with both internal staff and external clients.
The successful candidate will also grow quickly into an important role within Portfolio Management. Horizon values practical implementation of ideas and models, whether they come from internal research, academia, or a collaboration between the two. Emphasis will be placed on quantifying the candidate’s macro recommendations and their impact on Horizon’s investment portfolios.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Develop and refine a global macro framework for evaluating different asset classes & geographies
- Ability to turn macro ideas into actionable investment recommendations
- Ability to clearly articulate Investment Management’s views, positions, and performance, representing Horizon as a whole.
- Knowledge of competitive landscape and how to position Horizon products within it.
- Weekly presentation of ideas, research, and conclusions in weekly internal Research meeting
- Adheres to and demonstrates on a consistent basis, Horizon’s corporate values
- Proactive, creative individual able to analyze quantitative and qualitative market-relevant data from a variety of sources and determine its ultimate impact on Horizon’s portfolios.
- A team-focused individual who has the ability to interact with the different pockets of expertise within the firm: global macro, quantitative, fundamental analysis, and derivatives.
- Experience analyzing different asset markets globally, understanding the relationship between them, and being able to ascertain and characterize the drivers of the expected future relationships
This position works in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with a minimum of 40 hours of work expected each week.
Travel will be required approximately 5-15% of the time.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with a business, math, finance or economics or similar emphasis
- Three or more years of experience in an investment decision-making role or strategist role
Preferred Education and Experience
- Proven track record overseeing a broad range of asset classes and strategies
- Relevant professional certification preferred (e.g., CFA, CIMA, MBA).
- A strong knowledge of asset allocation modeling and leading indicators is highly appreciated. Familiarity with multi-asset investing and financial market analysis is valued.
- Demonstrated ability and experience with investment portfolio activities, including client implementation, investment policy statements, asset allocations and on-going portfolio monitoring.
- Experience working with clients is a plus
- Research mindset: high degree of curiosity, empirically driven, open minded, focus on the facts
- Quality & uniqueness of Global Macro recommendations
- Measurement of Global Macro recommendations / impact on the portfolios
- Quality of research/vetting of others’ ideas
- Quality & clarity of presentation of research & investment ideas
- Quality of external client communications, both written and in person