ENERGY FINANCIAL ANALYST
The position is in our portfolio valuation practice, which primarily conducts valuations of various investment securities for hedge funds and other investment companies. The position is specifically related to supporting our energy group, which focuses mainly on the oil and gas sector (upstream, midstream, downstream, oilfield services). Within the energy/oil and gas companies, we are valuing various securities, consisting of illiquid debt and equity investments in mostly privately-held companies. The position is ideal for someone interested in gaining a wide introduction to a variety of investment securities and valuation methodologies.
- Conduct research on client, competitors, industry, and capital markets, including market multiples, comparable ratios, and credit spreads.
- Gather and document pertinent data obtained through client interaction.
- Build, modify and utilize financial models for discounted cash flow, guideline market multiple, market transaction, fixed income and option valuations.
- Perform valuation analyses on companies and their securities across a wide range of subsectors within the energy sector, including, but not limited to, oil and gas exploration and production, oil and gas midstream, oil and gas downstream, MLPs, cogeneration, renewable energy, etc., using relevant qualitative information gathered and through the application of proprietary quantitative valuation models.
- Prepare formal client reports presenting the valuation conclusions.
- 0 to 5 years relevant energy-focused work experience, particularly with exposure to the oil and gas sector.
- Preferable for some exposure to credit analysis.
- Undergraduate BS or BA, or a Graduate MS or MBA degree in Finance. Any coursework in valuation or securities analysis a plus.
- Holding a charter or any progress toward the CFA designation a plus.
- Advanced, working knowledge of Excel.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and superior analytical capabilities are essential.
- Self starter and ability to master new tasks quickly.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments, prioritize tasks, and handle dynamic, time-sensitive engagements in a team setting.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work flexible hours around critical due dates.
- Applicants must have unrestricted authorization to work for any employer in the U.S.