Fundamental Equity Research Analyst
TITLE: Fundamental Equity Research Analyst
LOCATION & REPORTING: This position is based in San Francisco, California, and reports to the Lead Portfolio Manager
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”)
Matthews Asia focuses on Asia investment solutions that build wealth for our global clients over the long term. Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia's equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia's diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC and Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an individual to join the Matthews Asia ESG Fund to perform fundamental equity research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers. At Matthews, we take great pride in our positive and professional culture. It is important that each person at our firm embody our core values of integrity, internal/external client focus, initiative and teamwork.
The ideal candidate has a passion for investing and is an independent thinker and self-starter with at least 3 years of fundamental equity analysis experience preferably in Asian/Emerging Markets. S/he possesses a high level of integrity, understands the importance of being a part of our positive culture and enjoys working with a diverse team of professionals. Proficiency with Mandarin and/or Japanese is a big plus
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Perform fundamental equity research and investment analysis in support of Portfolio Managers.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses focusing on industry analysis, business models, products and services. Also focus on management quality and competitive advantages for Asia Pacific companies.
- Perform analyses by building financial and valuation screen/models that reflect the company's business performance and forecast.
- Monitor fund and portfolio company performance and review asset allocation and risk and return diversification.
- Monitor macro-economic news/risks, And analyze sector, regional and country factors re: portfolio companies
- Communicate with existing/potential investors, and perform site visits, as needed.
- 10-15% international and domestic travel for research required
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA and/or CFA preferred
- 3-5 years of fundamental equity analysis experience. Asian/Emerging Markets experience strongly preferred
- Proficiency with Mandarin and/or Japanese is a big plus
- U.S citizenship or authorization to work in the U.S on a permanent basis preferred
- Must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated passion for investing
- High level of integrity and ability to work well in a very diverse team setting
- Use of Bloomberg, Factset and Eikon
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.