Senior Research Analyst - Matthews Asia Growth and Income Fund
TITLE: Senior Research Analyst - Matthews Asia Growth and Income Fund
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”)
Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia's equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia's diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
This position will report to the lead Portfolio Manager of the company's Matthews Asian Growth and Income strategy.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Matthews Asia is seeking an individual to join their Growth and Income Fund team to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers.
The ideal candidate has a passion for investing and is an independent thinker and self-starter with at least 7 years of experience in the investment management industry that includes specific buy-side experience. You possess a high level of integrity, initiative and client focus along with the importance of a positive culture and enjoy working with a diverse team.
To be successful in this role you will have a knowledge and passion for conducting both qualitative and quantitative analyses, focusing on analysis of industries, business models, economic moats, capital structure, management quality and valuations for Asian companies.
We are a collaborative team! We will look to you for stock ideas derived from your thorough research and understanding of our investment philosophy. In addition, your effective support and coordination of investment decisions for a series of SEC-registered mutual funds that take a lower volatility, quality approach to investing in Asian equity and convertible bond markets will add value to the team and the firm's success.
- Research and analysis of individual companies, as well as sector, regional and economic factors affecting issuers based in, or with significant exposure to Asia
- Conduct research and generate superior ideas to enhance risk adjusted returns for the portfolio
- Asset allocation of the portfolio based on the changing environments of risks in macro economy, different sectors and individual equities and rebalance stock position
- Monitor the latest news/developments on the underlining stocks in the portfolio and evaluate the impacts on the stocks using qualitative and quantitative method. Also monitor macroeconomic news
- Meet with company managements on a frequent basis through on-site company visits, conference calls and meetings in our own office
- Communicate with existing/potential investors/advisers on the fund's investment philosophy and methodology
- Market fund to existing and potential clients
- Bachelor's degree is required, Master's degree and/or CFA preferred
- At least 7 years of work experience in the investment management industry*
*It is essential that some of that experience is as a Research Analyst.
- Willingness to travel to Asia is required
- Experience researching companies in Asia preferred
- Distinct passion for investing and demonstrable experience in investment
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Strong understanding of financial statements
- Communication skills - Ability to articulate clearly an investment case in writing and speech
- Working knowledge of tools such as Bloomberg, FactSet and strong excel skills
To apply for this position, please click here to submit your resume and application.
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.