Associate, Global Infrastructure & Power, Global Investment Banking
We’re on a mission to build the relationship-focused bank of the future and we’re looking for the passionate collaborators, innovators, advisors, and leaders who can get us there. Our distinct culture is built on a shared commitment to do what’s right for our clients, our people, and our communities, and we strive for excellence in everything we do. Because life at CIBC is not only what you do, but how you do it.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
The Capital Markets arm of CIBC provides corporate, government and institutional clients with innovative solutions to help them raise capital, and grow and invest actively throughout North America, Latin America, and key financial centres around the world. To deliver on its vision to be our clients’ preferred capital markets banking partner across multiple products and services, both in Canada and where our core competencies can be exported in the Americas. The Capital Markets mission is to bring Canadian Capital Markets products to Canada and the rest of the world, and also bring the world to Canada.
CIBC Capital Markets Global Investment Banking group provides equity and debt underwriting as well as corporate finance advisory services to a broad range of public and private corporations. CIBC’s Global Infrastructure & Power, Investment Banking group of professionals are dedicated to advising clients in connection with merger and acquisition activity as well as all aspects of corporate financing, including public and private equity and debt capital markets financing. There is an extensive amount of interaction with other groups within the firm in order to provide clients with customized financing and advisory solutions.
The Global Infrastructure and Power (“GIP”) team at CIBC focuses on clients in Canada, the United States and Europe who have interests in power generation, renewable energy, pipelines, midstream energy infrastructure and utilities. Based in Calgary, the primary roles and responsibilities for this Associate position within the GIP Investment Banking Group include generating corporate finance analytics, developing client deliverables, and generally supporting senior professionals in business development and transaction execution activities.
With guidance from a Managing Director, Executive Director or Director complete assignments that impact the firm's bottom line through deal execution, client relationships and contribution to the overall communication flow for a specified team. Assist in the management of a defined product and/or industry for a number of clients by acting as a representative.
How You’ll Succeed
Associates on the GIP team will be expected to provide a broad range of analytical, research and presentation preparation support to all the professionals within their group. Typically, Associates are assigned to a variety of transactions and advisory projects such as; mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, equity and debt financings, strategic advisory/alternatives projects and full capital structure solution projects. As part of the Global Infrastructure & Power deal team you will gain exposure to working with individuals from various groups across the firm globally. A team approach to executing coverage and financing assignments is designed to provide progressive on the job training.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Assist in executing all facets of the group’s mandates.
- Conduct industry research and analysis to assist in the identification and/or analysis of investment banking business opportunities
- Assist in preparing extensive written documents including business development proposals and company information documents for marketing purposes.
- Play a key role in the preparation of client proposals and “pitchbooks”
- Develop and audit sophisticated financial models
- Participate in cross functional teams and liaising with other units of CIBC Capital Markets in executing mandates or preparing proposals for clients
- Prepare industry and financial analysis to determine client recommendations
- Lead industry comparable value and transaction precedent analyses
- Assist in company due diligence investigations
- Must be able to accept flexibility in required personal time commitments to complete work assignments.
- The role of an Associate is challenging and fast-paced. It requires dedication, passion for the industry and a very solid work ethic.
Relationship Building – Take advantage of in depth technical and industry knowledge, as well as the geopolitical environment to generate ideas/opportunities that can be discussed with the relevant relationship manager and/or deal/coverage team. Coordinate client-focused and/or deal-focused “brainstorming” sessions with relevant team members and product specialists. Liaise with other units of CIBC Capital Markets in preparing proposals for clients. Develop relationships and actively communicate with various appropriate contacts at the client. Develop and maintain an internal network with product groups, other business groups, etc. Develop and maintain an external network with the market (i.e. Key stakeholders, prospects, etc.) and support CIBC’s image through involvement in community activities. Actively manage and mentor the Associates and Analysts that work with you and provide regular feedback to them.
Client Engagement – Play a lead role in the execution of client transactions including acting as the central point of contact for the deal team and/or product execution as appropriate through the completion of a transaction. Lead and oversee financial modeling and analyses and provide corresponding recommendations to internal and client stakeholders. Conduct deal related due diligence activities and present findings internally. Participate in developing investor presentation materials and in “road show” marketing activities. Work with outside working group members including legal advisors, accounting advisors, auditors, etc. Responsible for the overall information and communication flow on deal teams.
Who You Are
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
- Education You’ve Completed. Previous corporate finance/investment banking/private equity experience combined with completion of an CA or CFA, is preferred.
- Industry Experience. Detailed working knowledge of the Global Infrastructure & Power sector. Experience leading a group of professionals in operations or finance. Excellent analytical ability including demonstrated knowledge of valuation techniques and practices, including cash-flow analysis. Knowledge of accounting principles relating to financial statement preparation and business combinations.
- Technical Skills (Programs, Methodologies, Systems). Strong technical skills as it relates to basic computer applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), industry technology (Bloomberg) and applicable software.
- Collaborative. Well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills in order to develop, manage and leverage relationships with clients, and internal and/or external business partners. Well-developed written and verbal communication skills sufficient to provide detailed explanation and interpretation of factual and conceptual information and ideas related to complex technical and conceptual issues. Unquestioned professionalism, ethics and reputation and proven ability to exercise strong independent judgment when making business decisions and/or representing CIBC Capital Markets.
- Detail Oriented. Extremely dedicated and motivated individual with high career aspirations. Must be capable of assuming high levels of responsibility within short time frames.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact Mailbox.firstname.lastname@example.org
- You need to be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
- Often required to work beyond normal business hours.
- Required to make frequent decisions in a fast paced work environment