Credit Analyst - Associate, Credit Research Department
Gurtin Municipal Bond Management is seeking a uniquely qualified professional with a deep interest in public policy to join its best-in-class municipal credit research team as an entry-level credit analyst. This position offers an exciting opportunity for individuals with strong research skills that are fascinated by how various government borrowers operate and what challenges lie ahead for state and local governments. The ideal candidate should be intellectually curious and excited to analyze financial statements and budgets as well as research topics such as public pensions, retiree healthcare benefits, school funding formulas, and environmental regulatory changes. The position also offers the rare opportunity to learn fundamental municipal credit analysis from the ground up at a buy-side municipal bond manager, while working in a collaborative environment with a team of experienced credit analysts. With the opportunity to work in either our Chicago or our San Diego office, the Associate will be primarily responsible for supporting the research activities of the team, in addition to conducting municipal credit rating surveillance on existing holdings, and aiding in the publishing of research reports on a variety of municipal sectors inclusive of state and local governments, school districts, higher education, healthcare and housing, and essential service utilities such as water & sewer systems and electric utilities.
- Learn fundamental municipal credit analysis through Gurtin’s in-house training program, which includes mastering economic, financial, debt and ESG (environmental, social and governance) risk analysis.
- Aid in the completion of comprehensive credit surveillance.
- Conduct thorough media surveillance and monitoring to discover credit events, news and trends.
- Assist in research and writing of credit reports on individual credits, sectors and municipal credit trends.
- Perform ad hoc projects.
- Maintain database integrity.
- BA/BS degree required; MPA, MPP or MBA desirable
- Rating Agency experience is a significant plus
- Experience in the municipal bond industry is a plus
- Experience in financial industry, particularly fixed income is also a plus
- Strong analytical ability
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate with a diverse team that includes other credit analysts as well as quantitative analysts
- Ability to speak and write clearly and concisely to varied audiences
- History of demonstrating initiative
- Innovative, detail oriented, and well organized
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint