Sr Portfolio Manager at Northern Trust
Manages a full set of major fee revenue producing investment accounts, generally for large and sensitive personal trust relationships and individual investors.Operates within the framework of the underlying trust document, developing strategies designed to achieve specific investor goals. Functions as a senior staff member and technical expert in the peer review and/or investment management process. Assignments involve a high level of client servicing, often as the primary client contact.
1. Manages investment activities for a full set of major fee revenue producing accounts, representing large and sensitive high net worth personal trusts, individual investments, and court appoint accounts.
2. Manages accounts that often require complex decision making or special handling (e.g. nature of relationship, size/type of assets managed, sensitive client issues, coordinating shared authority with outside attorneys/consultants).
3. Develops, recommends, and directs the execution of programs designed to achieve investment objectives for accounts or family relationships. Reviews and analyzes investments to select assets and manage individual portfolios.
4. Ascertains the purpose or intentions of the trust/agency agreement and the level of investment authority granted to the trustee/agent.
5. Analyzes and plans the overall investment strategy of the trust/agency account with continuous revision of account objectives in the context of client needs.
6. Maintains extensive contact with personal trust relationship managers, clients, co-trustees, consultants, the bank''s legal area and outside attorneys to ensure communication of trust/agency requirements and coordinate portfolio activity.
7. Maintains a current awareness of new investment strategies and instruments through regular contact with the investment research area and other industry professionals, as well as through personal research.
8. Functions as senior staff member and/or technical expert on a peer review team providing regular review of portfolio activities, and in the investment management process.
9. Participates in the development of new investment business with personal financial planning staff by discussing personal investment services with prospects.
10. Ensures the completion of processing needs relative to the administration of assigned accounts.
11. Performs financial analysis on specific individual assets as needed.
12. Serves on standing investment services committees and on ad hoc unit committees as appropriate.
Minimum 12 - 15 years of investment experience, which may include research, in which consistent long term investment performance has met objectives. Knowledge of investment and portfolio management theory, accounting and financial principles, associated investment strategies and instruments, and characteristics of various marketplaces, usually acquired through formal education and work experience, is required to manage portfolios. Knowledge of investment terminology, the laws and regulations governing trust investments and taxation, as well as the bank''s investment policies, procedures and strategies, usually acquired through work experience and formal education, is required to operate within the framework of trust documents.Decision making, sales, and negotiating skills are required to guide sensitive or difficult situations through to agreement.
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 18,500 employees globally. We serve the world’s most-sophisticated clients – from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.