Mangham Associates, Inc., located in Charlottesville, Virginia, is an investment office serving foundations, endowments and select families for over 25 years. We represent our clients’ total portfolios and seek to maximize net return (for an appropriate level of risk) by providing best-in-class investment solutions often found at the best-managed endowments. Our goals for families involve customizing investment solutions to fit with their family’s values and achieving net of tax financial goals. Our services range from broadly defined consultative services including investment policy formulation and governance designed to integrate investment, financial and strategic plans, to focused, full discretion investment management in a variety of asset classes.
The Position We Seek to Fill
We are seeking an experienced investment professional with strong interpersonal skills and a keen analytical mind. The successful candidate will be adept at three main areas:
- Investing: Analyze and evaluate new and existing investments and managers in long-only stock management, hedge funds and private equity. Employ critical thinking and analysis to reach below the surface and evaluate the real drivers of risks and returns. Turn data into actionable information and present results in clear and concise written arguments to our Investment Team for consideration and action. Engage in constructive fact-based debate where conclusions are challenged, and the best ideas win in an atmosphere where people are respected, but ideas must hold their own. Bring new manager ideas to the team.
- Client Service: Proactively manage client relationships, preparing standard and customized client presentations/analyses, and rebalances/reallocations consistent with investment policy statements and guidelines. Confidently represent to clients and prospects our investment expertise, culture and firm values in person, over the phone and in written materials.
- Networking: Proactively network and develop leads to enhance and spread the Mangham brand. This may include involvement in a variety of client/marketing initiatives, which may include developing and pursuing client leads, or undertaking prospect presentations.
Our Work and Values
- We are a values and mission-driven organization that seeks, above all, to provide measurable value-add to our clients. Our mission and values are as follows:
- Mission: We strive to be a true partner for our endowment and family clients, adding measurable value for them, thereby leveling the investment playing field for investors who are often ill-served by the investment community.
- Core Values:
- Integrity – Maintaining our clients’ interests first is an unwavering commitment. Every Mangham team member is held to that standard both in front of the client and behind the scenes.
- Independence – Organizational independence allows us to maintain our values and minimize conflicts of interest. We are 100% owned by our employees. We are not affiliated with nor a subsidiary of any other organization.
- Teamwork – We employ a team approach in all aspects of our business with the firm belief that a strong team achieves more than the sum of its parts. The right professionals working together effectively lead to more consistent decision making and better results.
- Excellence – Each team member shares the values of the firm and is motivated, intelligent and inquisitive. A culture of excellence is supported by insisting on rigorous fact-based analysis and open discussion where respectful collegial debate and intellectual honesty drive decisions.
- Transparency – We aim to give our clients complete clarity at all times. Giving our clients insight into our decision-making results in trust and strong, long lasting relationships.
- Partnership – We are motivated to be true partners with our clients, trustworthy stewards of their assets and to play our part in helping our clients achieve their goals and missions.
What It’s Like to Work Here
- Our values drive us to expect excellent work whether individually or in teams. Results are driven by great processes, and great processes are driven by critical thinking, fact-based research, and teamwork. A degree of self-management is balanced by proactive informing and communication of work priorities.
- Like all firms, we have a corporate structure and hierarchy, but we strive to unleash each employee’s potential and remove barriers to great ideas through cross-functional ad hoc teams, mentoring, and bias controlled team meetings.
- We strive to be a meritocracy. Individuals are able to rise in the firm (to the extent that they fulfill a need), commensurate with their abilities and accomplishments.
- Active team meetings punctuate individual study and informal discussions in a collegial, open-door, almost academic setting.
- Our work ranges from inward focused, where we may seek advantage by understanding the nuances of a particular tax strategy, to outward focused where we help a group understand how to organize and communicate to enhance decision-making and success.
- Occasional table tennis competitions, birthday celebrations and offsites break up our daily habits and enhance our understanding of each other as teammates and interesting individuals and friends.
Qualities Required of You
- Character: A high-potential individual with strong values, ethics and character. An intellectual curiosity regarding how organizations make investment decisions, prosper and grow. An outgoing desire to “delight” clients through results and service excellence.
- Education: An undergraduate degree in an applicable major. Although not required, CFA charterholder or candidate in the CFA program is a plus. Also helpful, but not required, is an advanced degree such as an MBA or a degree in a related field of study.
- Experience: Roughly a minimum of 10+ years’ experience in investing (especially with endowments, family offices, or foundations) indicating a history of diligence and success. Client-facing experience a plus.
- Left Brain Abilities: Eagerness to perform analytical work for manager due diligence and overall portfolio analytics. Ability to balance quantitative and qualitative assessments. Ability to understand and describe sophisticated investment concepts at an appropriate level to board members, trustees, investment/finance committee members, staff, and family members of varying degrees of expertise and experience.
- Right Brain Abilities: A natural networker who knows her or his peers in other organizations, readily sees prospect opportunities for Mangham and enacts steps to fulfill them. An ability to infect others with your curiosity and enthusiasm. Ability to effectively communicate our drive, ambition, and investment capabilities to clients and prospective clients to continue to grow the firm. Strong oral and written skills.
- Teamwork Abilities: Ability to work individually and in a team. A team player eager to volunteer to help others and reach across disciplines to help the broader team. Desire to actively foster a collegial and positive firm culture. Willingness to perform routine work as required to meet team goals. Ability to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects simultaneously. A person that teammates seek for help/advice. A person that can turn problems into opportunities and solutions.
- Attitude: A goal-oriented, organized self-starter who pays attention to accuracy, timeliness and high-quality work. Has an internal drive for results. Nimble and effective, with a positive can-do attitude. A passion for learning and eagerness to continually learn more about finance and investments.
Interested applicants must send a resume and cover letter with salary expectations to Tracy Townsend at email@example.com. Please do not call. Candidates that do not follow these simple instructions will not be considered.