DIRECTOR, GROWTH EQUITY – GROWTH AND TRANSITION CAPITAL – Toronto
WHY JOIN BDC?
No other bank is doing what we do.
At BDC, we’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here and we think you’ll like it too.
The Director, Growth Equity - Growth and Transition Capital (GTC), is responsible for all aspects of an investment cycle including due diligence, deal making, deal management, investee governance and reporting. He/she works in concert with a variety of BDC colleagues, mainly the GTC and BDC Advisory Services teammates to ensure delivery of the appropriate BDC activities and offerings. He may also be called upon to interact with and mentor/coach for future development GTC Subordinated Debt Directors and other staff for smaller (<$3M) equity investment.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
Quality and pace of Investment: well-articulated alignments/submissions write-ups and valuable contribution to team reviews
- Source, structure, and recommend investments by formulating a proposal, confirming opportunity through due diligence and managing the deal closing.
- Represent BDC Capital on Board of Directors of Investee Companies, as a Nominee or an Observer.
- Create additional volume and capacity for smaller growth equity in GTC by coaching/mentoring other GTC staff with transactions involving a conversion of a GTC loan.
Provide post-closing value-add and plan exit from investment
- Pro-actively make value-adding proposals/recommendations and business introductions to Investee companies’ management and Boards coherent with the approved investment thesis and post-closing action plans
- Pro-actively engage investee management to establish Board and source independent external nominees to bring value-add to investee’s Board and maintain presence as observer to ensure smooth monitoring of Board governance, execution of BDC’s investment thesis and post-closing value-add activity.
- Provide advice and guide management of investee companies towards an efficient exit process to maximize BDC’s return on investment while respecting the broader BDC mandate.
Robust investment monitoring and portfolio risk management:
- Timely and thorough updating of Quarterly/Annual Account Updates
- Properly tracking identified investee company’s milestone/Post-closing Plan achievement
- Timely and transparent Amendments as required (including approval of Vetoes and other s/h related matters)
- Other administrative tasks and other business unit projects
Actively engage and collaborate in BDC wide approach:
- Internal: build collaborative relationships with business centers in partnership with colleagues in GTC and Financing. Foster productive relationships and collaborate across departments within BDC (Advisory Services, Venture Capital, Special Accounts/BRU, Portfolio Management) to improve efficiencies and better serve clients
- External: build relationships with entrepreneurs, associations, influencers, banks and co-investors to raise public awareness through proactive marketing and promotion of BDC’s Private/Growth Equity offering as well as of GTC’s and Financing Services’ products.
Be accountable for individual planning process by creating and implementing:
- High level robust marketing and visibility plan (including minimum number of prospects)
- Personal development plan identifying and addressing areas of improvement
Be engaged in the Growth Equity Organization Build-up and scale-up:
- Recommend new Growth/Private Equity policies, guidelines, procedures and evolve existing ones
- Pro-actively participate in related Growth/Private Equity business unit’s ad hoc projects
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, MBA an asset
- Professional designation is an asset (CPA and/or CFA)
- 7+ years’ experience in corporate finance transactions with direct investment experience in equity, mezzanine and an excellent understanding/working knowledge of cashflow lending/senior banking facilities underwriting and leveraged finance transactions.
- 7+ years’ experience structuring, negotiating and closing minority equity transactions in established, mature companies in leveraged or not leveraged context.
- 7+ years’ experience as a board member of private companies.
- Prior working experience in investment banking, a senior leadership role in a corporate setting such as CFO or other such relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of Fund of Funds investment, LP/GP structures, co-investment along GPs
- Successful track record in PE investments, exposure to a full cycle (from sourcing to full exit)
- Superior financial modelling and risk assessment skills
- Strong ability to collaborate, influence and build trust with GTC team, other internal groups within BDC, clients and other stakeholders
- Good experience in business development
- Proven negotiating and deal making skills
- Ability to negotiate legal documents and manage legal counsel to achieve stated goals and objectives.
- Sound investment judgment
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Scrupulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Bilingualism is an asset
- Team player, positive contributor to a peer based approach in deal review and portfolio management
- Dynamic individual, driven by success
- Organized and creative individual interested in proposing Best Practices to an emerging team
- High Emotional Intelligence and ability to adapt to team members around a shared goal
- Ability to “think outside the box” when trying to resolve complex situations and deadlocks in negotiations
- Understands the nuances of working in a larger, complex mandate organization
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
At BDC, we value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We appreciate all responses and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.