Credit Research Analyst
Public Trust Advisors is a rapidly growing, dynamic asset management firm serving short-to-intermediate investment needs of municipal governments, nationwide. Current AUM is divided between separately managed accounts and local government investment pools (LGIPs) in 8 states. Due to the potential for continued growth, Public Trust is seeking additional credit research staff who will support the mission of protecting client assets through rigorous counterparty research and analysis.
This position requires a strong understanding and desire to focus on fundamental counterparty credit analysis of domestic and international financial issuers and related asset backed structures. Position requires working closely as part of a team in a very dynamic work environment. The successful candidate will have an established record in credit analysis and be proficient in conducting research and drafting issuer and sector wide analysis, with strong communication skills (both written and verbal). Reporting to the Head of Credit, this individual will be a member of the Public Trust Credit Committee. The review process requires complete fundamental and risk management reviews.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fundamental credit analysis of approved and proposed financial sector names through due diligence, sector and issuer research, development and execution of proprietary analysis, preparing compelling written recommendations and presenting before Credit Committee. Prepare written reports for new initiations, annual credit reviews, and quarterly sector overviews.
- Act as lead in educating Public Trust employees and external stakeholders on the financials issuers
- Continual cycle surveillance using pre-established markers and recommendation of new markers and analytical tools.
- Ongoing surveillance of financial metrics, market signals and other factors using Excel and other internally developed risk management models.
- Interaction with the portfolio managers and credit team to determine appropriate issuers for inclusion in lists, hold codes, and investment policies.
- Participate in developing and improving credit team’s policies and procedures for compliance, analysis and employee conduct.
- Client presentations on an as needed basis.
- Attend industry conferences as needed.
- Ad hoc projects may be required on occasion.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Finance, Economics, or Accounting major preferred but not required in lieu of advanced degree or progress toward CFA designation.
- 3-5 years of experience in fundamental investment analysis focused on financials sector.
- Ability to analyze large amounts of data
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong teamwork skills required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with NRSRO reports
- MS Office skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Familiarity with S&P Capital IQ and Bloomberg
- Accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Employee will be able to think quickly on their feet and defend their analysis.
- Employee will be able to exercise independent judgment and work well with all levels of employees.
- Keen sense of macroeconomic and sector trends and the ability to convey their impacts on the credit issuers and portfolio holdings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Incumbent will demonstrate the ability to concisely distill an issuer’s story, highlighting meaningful factors of cash generation and deployment, and communicate the strengths, weaknesses and areas of due diligence for an issuer
- Strong presentation skills to diversified audiences required