Associate Director of Public Investments
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, based in Menlo Park, California, is seeking an Associate Director of Public Investments to work in its Investment Department.
About the Foundation
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is a nonpartisan, private charitable foundation that advances ideas and supports institutions to promote a better world. For more than 50 years, the foundation has supported efforts to advance education for all, preserve the environment, improve lives and livelihoods in developing countries, promote the health and economic well-being of women, support vibrant performing arts, strengthen Bay Area communities and make the philanthropy sector more effective. For more information about the Hewlett Foundation, please visit its website at www.hewlett.org.
About the Investment Department
The Investment Department’s mission is to pursue an investment strategy that generates optimal risk-adjusted returns that are sufficient, over time, to sustain the real value of the foundation’s endowment net of payout. The investment portfolio is widely diversified by geography and across a range of asset classes, and all investments are made through a premier group of external managers.
The Associate Director of Public Investments will report to the Director of Public Equity and will also work on several marketable asset classes with the Director of Public Investments in a four-person Public Investment Team. The Associate Director will provide support on portfolio modeling and monitoring of risk, as well as sourcing, selection and due diligence of external public marketable managers. The individual filling this position will be a key part of our 11-person team.
Related responsibilities include:
- Develop and manage quantitative analyses of manager-specific and sub-asset class performance and risk characteristics (i.e. factor, correlations, drawdown, etc.).
- Support the Director with portfolio modeling and analysis of benchmarks, performance, risk, and liquidity.
- Support the Director in closely monitoring existing public marketable investments portfolio.
- Work with Director to develop investment theses and advocate portfolio construction strategies for public equity asset class.
- Support the Director in the due diligence, evaluation, and selection of new public equity managers by evaluating strategy and analyzing performance using various assessment methodologies.
- Work closely with investment accounting team on performance and audit reporting.
- Responsible for managing the electronic filing system, manager letters, and legal correspondence of public marketable investment managers.
- Generate weekly asset deployment report and other customized liquidity projections required for portfolio rebalancing and strategic planning.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The position requires 8-10 years of institutional buy or sell-side research experience. The Associate Director must possess highly developed, demonstrated knowledge of financial markets and quantitative statistical analysis. A MBA or CFA (in process) is required. The following specific skills are required.
This person would have:
- Demonstrated mastery of the quantitative methods and analytical capabilities required for complex problem solving.
- Strong knowledge of public marketable asset classes.
- Developed understanding of manager assessment methodologies.
- Complex problem-solving skills, including ability to initiate and execute financial and analytical studies.
- Expert knowledge of Excel, Bloomberg analytics, and ability to create and manipulate complex financial models.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and initiative.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize among many time-sensitive demands.
- Team orientation and interest in supporting the work of a philanthropic foundation.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources explaining how your skills fit this position by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject Line: [Your Name] – Associate Director of Public Investments)