Senior Portfolio Manager
You will have direct responsibility for investment mandates of more than c£1bn. You will be responsible for ensuring that all Company policies are implemented and followed by the team of Portfolio Managers and Investment Analysts for whom you have line management responsibility. You will also ensure that the capacity and skill base of your direct reports always meets the Partner Funds' needs, and be required to support the Investment Director and Investor Relations function in communications with the Partner Funds.
· Management of sub-funds / investment mandates that exceed c£1bn.
· Document and ensure that you meet the investment targets of the Partner Funds in respect of those sub-funds and mandates.
· Ensure that your direct reports integrate, document and maintain the Investment Committee's investment policies applicable to the asset classes / portfolios for which you are responsible, in addition to observing the house policy on Responsible Investment.
· Embed and monitor the management of risk and compliance by you direct reports in accordance with the Company's Risk and Compliance Framework.
· Manage the sub-funds / investment mandates for which you are responsible in a manner which will deliver value for money for Partner Funds whilst identifying opportunities to improve the risk adjusted returns after charges.
· Monitor the activities of your direct reports and provide documented assurance to the Investment Director that all portfolios for which you are responsible are managed within the parameters set in the Prospectus and the IMA, and in accordance with the Company's policies.
· Agree with the Investment Director, Manager of Managers and Absolute Return the creation of new external mandates or the retender or consolidation of existing external mandates, and instruct your direct reports to implement the agreed actions.
· Ensure that you direct reports follow the manager selection, appointment, monitoring, reporting, retender and transition framework (the “Manager of Managers Process”) set by the Investment Director, Manager of Managers and Absolute Return.
· Lead by example to create a rigorous culture of high performing, collaborative, research based and responsible investing across the Investment Team.
· Be an ambassador for LGPS Central within the investment community, Partner Funds, and with regulators and key stakeholders.
· Take responsibility for projects the Investment Directors ask you to manage and ensure that they are appropriately resourced, and delivered on time and to budget.
· In conjunction with the Investment Directors and your direct reports deliver a transparent, auditable and repeatable investment process.
· Line management and personal development of the Portfolio Managers and Investment Analysts who are your direct reports.
· Extensive experience of collaborative investment decision making at a senior level, ideally in a FCA regulated environment.
· Demonstrates experience of contributing to a following policies on the selection of investments, documenting the rationale for making investments, portfolio construction, and portfolio monitoring and reporting.
· Has direct experience of managing investment portfolios successfully.
· Can evaluate performance and risk of investment portfolios objectively.
· Experience of the successful management and personal development of high performing investment teams.
· Demonstrates documented delivery of value for money (consistent risk adjusted returns after charges).
· CFA or equivalent qualification/ relevant investment experience.
· Has or can meet all the requirements of being a FCA CF 30 approved person.
· High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas.
· Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
· Demonstrates first class interpersonal, people management and communication skills.
Closing date: 5pm Friday 27th April 2018
Interviews will commence from: Monday 7th May 2018
About LGPS Central Limited
We provide an exciting, supportive and family-friendly working environment, and we are committed to helping our people achieve their full potential and a healthy work-life balance.
We are an inclusive employer and offer equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual's age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
We have been established to manage the investable assets on behalf of nine Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) funds across the Midlands. We will be responsible for around £40bn of assets on behalf of 900,000 LGPS members and 2,500 employers.
The participating LGPS funds in LGPS Central are: Cheshire; Derbyshire; Leicestershire; Nottinghamshire; Shropshire; Staffordshire; Worcestershire; West Midlands Pension Fund; and the West Midlands Integrated Transport Authority.
We aim to improve risk-adjusted returns after costs for participating funds, to enable access to a wider range of asset classes, to ensure good governance and to deliver cumulative cost savings of over £250m over the next 16 years.
We are one of eight LGPS asset pools in England and Wales.