Agriculture and Timber Private Equity Associate
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate Investments manages approximately $80 Billion of assets. Our goal is to provide sustainable, competitive, risk-adjusted investment returns and investment-related services for the benefit of The Allstate Corporation. Investment performance for our portfolios has consistently provided excess returns for our customers, and we attribute that success in large part to the quality of our people. The size of the investment group exceeds 300 individuals across a variety of investment disciplines including, fixed income, equities, private securities, commercial mortgages and derivative asset classes, as well as, finance and technology. We recognize that our employees are our ultimate advantage and we seek to attract and retain highly qualified individuals with strong academic backgrounds, a deep interest in investments and a desire to be challenged. For additional information about Allstate Investments, LLC, visit our website at www.AllstateInvestments.com
The Associate will assist in all phases of investing - origination, due diligence, evaluation, execution, monitoring, managing, and exiting of portfolio investments. The Associate is responsible for working with the Head of the Agriculture and Timber Private Equity Group and other team members to evaluate investment opportunities. Agriculture and Timber investments are an important component to Allstate's long term strategy to broaden our investment portfolio to include higher and more stable returning but differentiated investment products. With that goal in mind, Agriculture and Timber is looking for a talented individual with a broad based credit, mergers & acquisition and/or private equity background to complement the existing team.
Under the direction of the Head of the Agriculture and Timber Group, the Associate will be expected to complete the following:
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis used to support the underwriting of potential investment opportunities
- Participate in idea generation, research and analysis activities that create actionable investments
- Travel (both domestically and internationally) to originate investment opportunities and / or participate in on-site investment due diligence
- Prepare internal memoranda and other materials used to support investment recommendations and to communicate with internal constituents including Allstate's Investment Committee(s)
- Closely monitor the performance of existing investments in each of the portfolios, including financial analysis of the underlying portfolio companies and/or assets
- Evaluate market conditions for agriculture, agribusiness and timberland in existing and new geographies and provide corresponding information, analysis and merit to support these investments
- Collaborate with Risk Management to develop elevated governance, oversight, boundaries and exit strategies
- Provide support for internal communications and elsewhere on an as-needed basis; utilize expertise to advise and influence our clients and Allstate Leaders.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of two years of work experience in investment banking, leveraged finance or private equity. Prior experience will ideally include leverage lending, distressed debt experience, direct exposure to private equity and/or industry experience in agriculture or timber. Additional skills required include:
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple investment-related projects in a time critical, transaction oriented environment. (Advanced)
- Demonstrated experience developing/evaluating financial models, analyzing financial statements, understanding various valuation methodologies, and working in a transaction oriented environment (Advanced)
- Strong command of accounting and finance. (Intermediate)
- Knowledge of, and interest in agriculture or timber private equity markets. (Basic / Intermediate)
- Eagerness to work hard in a team-oriented, performance based environment. (Advanced)
- A self-starter that requires limited oversight in the completion of individual projects. (Advanced)
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills. (Advanced)
- Very strong proficiency with Microsoft Office. (Advanced)
- Experience with Bloomberg or Capital IQ. (Intermediate / Advanced)
- A bachelor's degree is required.
- A CFA or MBA is a plus.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.