Senior Manager, Manager Research
Senior Manager, Manager Research
The UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust (the “Trust”) is seeking a Senior Manager to join the investment team in the Ann Arbor, MI office. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated an interest in investing, a knowledge of both public and private markets that would help inform the Trust’s investment approach, and be motivated by the Trust’s mission.
The Trust provides health care benefits for retired UAW members of General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler along with their eligible dependents. It currently oversees roughly $55 billion of assets invested across traditional and alternative asset classes. The Diversifying Strategies team is actively managing a portfolio of hedge funds and liquid alternatives that span public markets with the goal of providing greater diversification. The Senior Manager will be an integral part of the diligence, selection, and monitoring of investments. The collaborative culture of the Trust offers the opportunity to gain broad exposure to not only Diversifying Strategies, but all investments in the Trust’s portfolio.
Job Purpose: The Senior Manager will be a critical contributor to the Diversifying Strategies team’s efforts and is expected to contribute more broadly with manager research across the broad set of public and private markets in which the Trust invests. The position requires the candidate to be interested in working across other asset class strategies with the ability to collaborate effectively with other investment professionals in those areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributing to collaborative team-based decisions regarding the merits of investments across asset classes.
- Leading due diligence on prospective managers from beginning to end.
- Developing and researching investment themes that will increase the risk-adjusted return of the Trust’s portfolio.
- Building a strong investment network for use in sourcing and evaluating investment ideas.
- Independently identifying and sourcing potential investment ideas to be thoroughly vetted by the investment team.
- Writing clear and concise investment recommendations.
- Analyzing investment performance to ensure strategies are consistent with the Trust’s long-term objectives.
- Leveraging analytical tools to assess portfolio and manager data to track firms, funds, and people.
- Represent the Trust with professional poise at regular meetings with managers and other investors.
- Helping improve monitoring processes for investment exposure (such as industry, sector geography, style, and other investable factors) in a way that enhances the team’s ability to understand and manage these exposures.
- Helping with preparation for Investment Committee meetings and other reporting functions of the Investment Office.
- Helping recruit, develop, and mentor investment analysts.
- A Bachelor’s degree relevant to the role. An MBA, CFA and/or CAIA designation is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of seven years of investment experience in a relevant capacity.
- Prior experience investing across a wide range of asset classes preferably with a focus on public markets investing.
- Experience in investment manager selection and diligence processes is desired but not required.
- Ability to construct a compelling case for or against an investment idea, present it before an engaged and experienced Investment Committee, and confidently address any issues raised.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
- Ability to know when to act independently on decisions and when to share and seek feedback.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated commitment to teamwork; and demonstrated ability to work with others up and down the organizational structure.
- Strong ethics and attention to details.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks with minimal guidance.
- Be a self-starter, have a passion for investing, and be dedicated to the intellectual honesty required for good decision-making.
- Be willing to travel approximately 20% of the time.