ESG Research Analyst
TITLE: ESG Research Analyst
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”)
Founded by G. Paul Matthews in 1991, Matthews International Capital Management, the advisor to Matthews Asia Funds, believes in the long-term growth of Asia, concentrating our efforts and expertise exclusively within the region. As an independent, privately owned firm, Matthews is the largest dedicated Asia-only investment specialist in the United States. Our investment offerings provide a broad range of strategies for building a global portfolio that includes exposure to Asia.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Lead Portfolio Manager, Asia ESG Fund
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This role will be responsible for supporting and coordinating ESG research for a series of SEC-registered mutual funds that specialize in international markets.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- ESG research and analysis of individual companies, as well as material sector, country and regional ESG factors affecting companies based in, or with significant exposure to Asia Pacific
- Develop conviction around ESG opportunities and risks for Asian businesses with a view towards stock selection for the portfolio
- Work within a team to conduct research and generate investment ideas for better returns of the portfolio
- Contribute to the further development of various aspects of Matthews' ESG research and investment process including idea generation, due diligence on companies, building ESG research collateral and conducting ongoing engagement
- Take ownership of Matthews' proprietary ESG database
- Monitor the latest news/developments (including ESG) on the underlining stocks in the portfolio and evaluate the impacts on the stocks using qualitative and quantitative method.
- Meet with company managements and other stakeholders on a frequent basis through on-site company visits, conference calls and meetings in our own office to continually assess ESG performance
- Continually stay abreast of the latest ESG trends and evaluate ESG data sources, services and service providers
- Collaborate with Lead and Co-Portfolio Manager
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders such as compliance and distribution teams and external organizations such as industry associations, research organizations, PRI, SASB etc.
- Communicate with existing/potential investors/advisers on the fund's investment philosophy and methodology
- Publish ESG thought leadership pieces, market fund and appear in media and conferences
- Champion firm's ESG efforts by crafting best-in-class ESG policies and implementing them
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA or CFA preferred but not required
- Industry experience of at least 5 years; buy-side preferred
- Strong background in/knowledge of Asia preferred
- Past experience as an ESG research analyst in the industry
- U.S citizen or authorized to work in the U.S on a permanent basis preferred
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Strong ESG research integration and communication skills. Financial analysis skills strongly preferred
- High level of integrity
- Team player
- Must be an independent thinker and self-starter with keen interest in investing
- The position requires some international travel
- Familiarity with ESG data services such as Sustainalytics, MSCI ESG, CDP and others
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.